Recurring pityriasis rosea

Posted , 55 users are following.

Hello

I was interested to read other experiences. I am currently experiencing a recurrance of pityriasis rosea. I had the first occurance about 9 or 10 years ago and my Dr too was not only surprised to see a rare disorder but to see it in someone at my age. I was 27 then. Even more surprised now at late 30's!

I too thought there was a patch of ringworm on my arm and recently had an awful cold and took 2 days off work (that's really rare for me as I'm a bit a workaholic). I didn't pay any attention to it at first, the spots that now cover my tummy, and a fear of having chicken pox actually made me look into what I had. When I read the symptons I realised that my symptons are classic. I would have left it at that, because I'm not suffering at all - not even itchy spots, provided I don't scratch the herald patch - I don't even notice it. It was only when I read that only 2% recurs that I read on and found your experiences.

My herald patch and spots has been so typical in both cases that there is no doubt it is pityriasis rosea. My Dr the first time told me that it was most likely to be stress related.

My only curiosity this time is why now? Its made me consider taking a holiday in the sun (how often is the diagnosis to spend time in the sun?) to make sure I'm not opening myself up to to something more sinister - maybe this is natures little warning that I'm over doing it.

Does anyone else think like that?

0 likes, 72 replies

72 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello all, I'm just after some advice on reoccurring PR. My husband has had it on and off now for roughly 6 months. The patches at their most severe will be all over his back like a big map, inner thighs, arms, and redness on his face. He was diagnosed via skin biopsy a few weeks ago. The PR will reduce and appear to go away but within 1-2 weeks it starts to come back again. He is constantly itching and at its worst it will be severely itching and like he is on fire. 

These are my suggestions so far

Calamine lotion

Coconut oil for the dryness 

Cotton clothing/bed sheets

He was given cortisone tablets but they affected his kidney function. He was also on blood pressure medication but went off it as they made him feel terrible and the rash seemed to hang around. His GP has advised there is no treatment for it and it should resolve on its own but it isn't.

He is so stressed out, not sleeping and it is affecting his day to day life. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi! I found this thread when I was googling after getting my second round of pityriasis rosea, so I figured I'd share my experience in case it can help someone else: I was just about going crazy from the itching, and had barely slept for a week, when my boyfriend suggested that I try using a mix that is commonly used on children with chickenpox - and it was incredible! I'm guessing that brand names vary, in Norway we call it "hvit vask" ("white wash"). It consists of zinc oxide, talcum, glycerol and alcohol, and it has a soothing effect, as well as creating a protective layer on the skin. Worked like a charm! I slept for 11 hours, and after two days, alternating between this mix and moisturizer, the rash has calmed down, dried out and barely itches anymore. It's definitely worth trying out!

• Posted

I have had reoccurent severe pityriosis since i fist got it. its finally in remission but its only been 2 years so we will see. I had to take large doses of antivirals to get it in remission. Sun doesnt actually help me never has

• Posted

Hello, I've had reoccurring PR for quite sometime now since i was 18-24. it comes back after i treat it with Head and Shoulders every three months or so sometimes quicker.... I just want this to go away, its the most annoying thing. It's never gone away for years like ive been reading for some people its always the same cycle.

If anyone knows how to make it go away please tell me.

• Posted

hi!! i use Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturising Lotion to sooth the itching

• Posted

I am on my third outbreak in three years. Female, olive skin, late twenties and extremely careful with what goes on my skin. My first herald patch was on my face! The last two have been small patches on trunk or arm with no itching or pain but associated with fatigue. Using head and shoulders as a body wash and zinc oxide cream has helped it fade quicker. I scar easily so I have not tried sunlight as a treatment. I have not had any scarring with my patches, although they can last for weeks. I was initially given steroids the first time as a misdiagnosis. I take oral lysine and vitamin c daily during my outbreaks now. I suspect mine is related to stress and worsening seasonal allergies.

• Edited

hello everyone

i am so glad i came across this discussion! i am 27!

so i think i may have pr, (self diagnosed) i have had the condition for 5 years, it started on my back and year after year it has got worse spreading to my arms, neck, top of legs and waist and also on the side of my boob. it is so itchy! i am a fake tan user and it looks terrible! sticks to the dry bits!!

i have been back and forth to the doctors so many times, i was treated for a fungal infection this never worked. then had antibiotics,i then saw another doctor and said i had pityriasis versiculour and he gave me selsun shampoo this actually burned my skin and was left with blisters ( i used as directed) he then put me on hydrocortisone but that didnt work either! i got a referral to the dermatologist and because my rash was not inflamed he couldnt do anything for me, ridiculous!

i have tried many things to sooth the itching, i am naturally a stressy person so this doesnt help either! i eat a very well balanced diet and drink mostly water!

it seems to stay all year round and gets worse in the winter months.

i can honestly say after so many lotions and potions used the one that seems to calm the itch the most is Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturising Lotion! i apply it twice a day morning and night. after ive had a shower my skin itches too.

i am so glad i am not the only one who has this, as doctors dont know much about it ive had to do my own research on it!

its just so itchy and awful to look at knocks my confidence so much!!!

hopefully we can all help eachother! im also due to get married next year so i would love to have beautiful skin 😦

X

• Posted

I first got PR when i was around 8 years old. since then i got a few patches here and there, until now. I am 38 and i have the worst case i have ever had and its one week before I get married. They say it isnt stressed induced, but I believe different. I have been way more stressed lately . I also got a chest cold prior to the patches and found out i had strep throat 2 days after the rash spread all over my chest, back, legs, and upper arms. It has been 3 weeks and they are starting to fade, but no where near gone. I noticed mine improved once i started the tanning bed and showering in head and shoulders shampoo and using Blue Star ointment. They have dried out quite a bit and became itchier as well as cracking open a bit which has been rather frustrating but atleast they are starting to fade. I would still recommend the sun or tanning. When i was small they put me in something that made me feel i was in a giant microwave with lights. ( 8yr. old perspective lol). Hopefully in a few weeks they will disappear completely. I was also on two rounds of antibiotics for a tooth infection a couple weeks prior to my herald patch appearing. I have noticed most people who have PR have either been stressed, sick, or on antibiotics or vaccines prior to occurence. Hope this helps someone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.