Recurring Red Rash and Red Bumps on Penis Head, and over three months.

Posted , 27 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I'm just about 30 years old and I am uncircumcised. My foreskin is a bit tight, but it is easily pulled back when flaccid. I've been having this same issue for a few months now. My meatus (urethra) looks slightly inflamed. There’s a red rash of red bumps that show up on my penis head and it varies on where it shows up from time to time. There is no discharge anywhere. I’ve noticed it can get worse after taking a hot shower/bath/masturbation.

Pictures provided below without using anything below.

Picture after using Nystatin below.

Picture after using CeraVe moisturizer below.

Possible remedies

Nystatin 100,000 unit/gram topical powder - helps keep the redness down when applying regularly.

Diflucan - haven’t tried yet, but might help, apparently it could have worse side effects than the above though.

Diflucan vs. Nystatin

https://www.rxlist.com/diflucan_vs_nystatin/drugs-condition.htm

CeraVe moisturizer - applying this 2x daily helps keep the irritation down to a minimum.

This unknown issue started occurring a while back around June. On 07/02/2020, I got a full STD test with blood and urine that all came back NEGATIVE for the following;

Chlamydia trachomatis RNA, TMA, Urigenital

Neisseria gonorrhoeae RNA, TMA, Urigenital

HIV AG/AB, 4th gen

Hepatitis B surface antigen

Hepatitis C antibody

HSV 1 IGM screen (herpes)

HSV 2 IGM screen (herpes)

RPR (DX) w/refl titer and confirmatory testing (syphilis)

Later that month, my symptoms were not improving, on 07/23/2020, I went to a GP and he looked at it and said it is just a case of balanitis/jock itch. I went to the store and got Lamisil like he suggested. However, I didn’t notice much of an improvement so I then filled the prescription he gave me for (nystatin 100,000 unit/gram topical powder).

I’ve read many forums like this one searching for answers as to what it might be. I also read online that balanitis could last for a month or so. It has been going on a few months now, but It’s still not gone, so I went back to the GP again on 09/21/2020 and did a urine test for the two listed below not previously tested for after it being mentioned on some forums here as a possible cause, but both came back NEGATIVE, specifically the following two;

Trichomonas vaginalis RNA qualitative TMA, males

Mycoplasma genitalium, realtime, PCR

Trichomonas is hard to detect from what I’ve read. If I’m not mistaken, a urine sample is better than a swab test concerning the detection rate.

Within the week of 10/05/2020, I did another full panel STD blood and urine test for peace of mind, and it all came back NEGATIVE again. The below list was what was tested. However, it didn’t include herpes, but I tested negative for that a few months back anyways.

RPR (DX) w/refl titer and confirmatory testing (syphilis)

Chlamydia trachomatis RNA, TMA, Urigenital

Neisseria gonorrhoeae RNA, TMA, Urigenital

Hepatitis C antibody

Hepatitis B surface antigen

HIV AG/AB, 4th gen

Trichomonas vaginalis RNA qualitative TMA, males

Mycoplasma genitalium, realtime, PCR

To sum it up, The nystatin powder helped to keep the redness down, but if I stopped using it then the red spots/redness came back. This makes me think it is some kind of fungus, but I’m still unsure because moisturizer also seems to help keeping inflammation to a minimum?

Another guess I have is that it could be a chronic case of zoon’s balanitis?

Some people here think it could be a strain of HPV (could last a few years)?

My GP also suggested circumcision possibly, but I’ve seen others on here that are circumcised that also have issues like mine and I’d rather not go the route of adult circumcision anyways.

11/07/2020, latest update: I stopped using Nystatin back around the beginning of October, and instead, l just put CeraVe moisturizer on my penis once or twice a day. I’ve noticed the redness doesn’t get inflamed and there’s less occurrence of red bumps. I am holding off on going to a Urologist my GP referred me to for the time being. I’ll update this post later if I find out what else it could potentially be when I end up going to a urologist.

8 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

To Stressed and the rest of guys here. Hi. I am from Ecuador, but I was so desperate that I ended up in this forum in English. Same problem as most of you. I will be clear, I had anal sex without condom and here I am. The condition of my glans is almost the same as the pictures here, but my foreskin has some red spots even more than the glans. It itches and it is painful sometimes. I will share my experience if you are interested on it.

I have visited three urologists by now. The first one sent me cream, and two types of pills (quadriderm for the cream and Fluconazol for the pills), common treatment for balanitis. Symptoms stopped and I thought that I was cured, but two months later, it appeared again. so...

Second urologist. Sent me a cream and pills, not as strong as the other ones, and suggested me circumcision (the first cream had corticosteroids, this one had nystatin). I used that for ten days, it looked like I was getting better by the third day, but then everything went worse. I assumed it was my fault since I masturbated "too much" one day. It was a located red spot, but now it was all the glans and the foreskin. By the sixth day, it felt like the cream was causing more pain.

Third urologist: "there is no cure, circumcision is the only solution". He sent me a naturist cream called mebo. And some pills called Davintex. The pills did nothing, but the cream helped me to get my peeled skin recovered and it is not so red now, and there are just a couple of spots on the foreskin. I just finished the 7 days of this treatment.

All this happened in three months. Reading you and all the comments made me feel much better, I was even feeling kind of depressed. I don't want the circumcision, I am happy with how I look now.

So, it looks like we have a chronic condition, it might disappear sometimes, but it comes back sooner or later. We must adapt to it. I will visit the same first urologist in a couple of days, mainly because I want to ask him for a long time treatment, or options to live with this. I really want to try anti fungus treatment once again and then go for CeraVe. I haven't had blood tests, so I will ask about it. I haven't read people living with this more than 5 years, so.. I hope it really ends at some point

Some suggestions: -Improve your immune system. - Avoid excess of carbohydrates and sugar, also fried foods. - If you don't mind being circumcised, go on, it will totally help since there won't be more humidity, your skin and glans will get stronger. It will be harder for the fungus or bacteria to reproduce there. - Be careful if it gets aggressive, since you can get really sick if it reaches your urethral meatus, your urethra or your blood. - A guy said that wet wipes helped him.

I might update this if the thread is still alive and I have updates, or if you have some replies. Thank you

• Posted

any new updates.. did it ever get cured ?

• Posted

I still occasionally get a red dot or a few that are spread out, but its manageable by using Aquaphor, which I use pretty regularly. I haven't gotten a rash like those pics in a very long time. The red dots go away within a night or two later while managing with Aquaphor. Also, I'm in the process of getting the HPV vaccine, because why not. If this issue is a non-cancerous strain of it like some think, I heard the vaccine might still indirectly help... plus there's no way of testing for HPV.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.