Recurring reflux...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone,

My problem might seem like a simple one and I hope it is. I've just been struggling with acid reflux, like a lot recently.

Just a bit of back ground info; I used to take omeprazole quite regularly for gastritis, I had quite a nasty episode of gastritis a couple years ago, and then again last year. My doc actually put omeprazole on my repeat prescription so that if I felt like I needed it I could just go get some.

Also, and this might be me being a bit stupid, I have taken gaviscon when I maybe shouldn't have. I often used to habitually take it before I entered my stressful work environment of a busy pizza place just in case my stomach got a bit wound up, which it often did and does when I'm stressed.

Anyway last week I was woken in the morning about 7am by a choking sensation, I opened my eyes from a dream to find that I felt like I had fluid in the back of my throat. I actually felt like I could have thrown up, but I instinctually started to try and swallow rather than spit it out. But I started coughing and had a hard time breathing. This lasted about 1 minute in total I think but it was scary. Never happened before. But the rest of that day I had horrid reflux sensation, and a horrible taste in my mouth I just couldn't shift.

And just the last week since I've been having bad acid reflux, it seems to be worse in the evenings, like after I eat my evening meal. My diet isn't the best, quite frankly it's crap, which is probably average for a 26yr old. I rarely drink alcohol, but I do drink fruit juice and I mean I basically live off it.

I've noticed my tongue is white at the back, which I believe is due to the acidity in my throat. I also have that horrid hot, stale taste in my mouth pretty much constantly. I have been taking gaviscon tablets when I feel like I need them, but they sometimes don't feel like they do much.

I'm wondering if I should get myself back on some omeprazole or should I go see my doctor?

If anyone can offer me some advice that would be great.

Thanks,

Andrew

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Omeprazole will help witth the reflux and gastritis. However, change your diet to blander foods that are not rich, spicy or fatty. Anything rich, fatty, or spicy can make reflux worse and irritate your gastritis which causes your stomach to remain sensitive. Avoid processed food and try cooking from fresh.  Eat little but often and don't eat very late at night.  Continue with Gaviscon; it really helps my chronic reflux.  Milk will also help; it neutralises the acid and is a natural remedy.  Try these solutions first and of they don't work, see your doctor. 

• Posted

I agree, switching up your diet to see if it helps is a great idea. If you still see the white in your throat/tongue I might have a Dr check it out if it.is something new. I am getting over a yeast infection in my esophagus/throat that needed medication to heal.
  • Posted

Hi Andy,

You need to to change your diet.

Before you go back on omeprazole ask your doctor for a stool test for H pylori (omeprazole can affect the test).

H pylori is a nasty very common bug which can cause all of your symptoms.

Excercise and or meditation or any hobby which helps you

de stress would be a good idea.

• Posted

Also, get tested for Candida. This may be causing your toung to turn white.

Low acid, tons of sugar from juice is ripe for Candida to flourish.

For goodness sakes, clean up your diet. Medication only masks GERD by relieving symptoms. You need to also treat GERD with a good diet, low in sugars, high in low fat proteins, vegetables, and fiber.

Absolutely no alcohol.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.