Recurring shingles

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 65 and was diagnosed with shingles at the age of 17. I don't recall ever having chicken pox, as all 4 of my brothers had them. I do have recurring shingles on the same are 6 to 7 times a year. The pain is awful and the blisters and rash are even worse, They are not always in the same spot, but always on the same arm. I have been going through this for 48 years. Had the shingles vaccaine, but still get them. Doctors can only tell me I have a weakened immune system. I was very ill ladt year with the flu, strept throat, thrush and a lot more, but is there anyway I can boost my immune system and keep from getting shingles as it's painful?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I hope someone has the answer. Just came back from my GP after yet another bout of shingles. The pattern of mine has changed. Before it was on one area. Now I have 3 flares one after another. GP suggested low dose of aciclovir for 3 months and a low dose of amitriptiline to reduce the pain. The sad thing about amitriptiline - you have to take it regularly , as it needs to build up in your system. The question is - does one want to go on antidepressants or tolerate the pain? Meanwhile, going to see a homeopath.
  • Posted

Hi Katrina I am 55 and have been dealing with shingles for the last three years. I get them on the back of my right leg and pubic area. As you say pain is terrible and sitting can be excruciating. Forget about wearing pants and even dresses can be annoying from rubbing. GP basically said that I would have to make do. Take pain pills and wait until done. Three to four weeks sometimes longer. I do drink Zeal every day for immune system. It is a natural multivitamin it has helps in building up system.
  • Posted

Hi katsin50. I had shingles in april and have PHN at times, when feeling off colour with a cold or similar. I had two more patches of rash after initial outbreak. I read on here that taking 1000 miligrams of L-Lysine a day would help fight it off again and help immune system. I've been taking them since about June now and so far so good! Obtainable online or at health food shops like HnB. Also I take some B vits and folic acid + selenium ACE. They all help you battle illness/virus'. Hope you're soon better. Best wishes, Ellie UK
  • Posted

hi Katsin50,sorry to hear you are suffering.like you i suffer recurring shingles.i too had vaccine but didnt work.i now take daily Aciclovir 400mg twice a day as a suppresent, so far 4months since i started this ive not had an attack.ive tried all other medication,hope this helps,take care
    • Posted

Hello, Lisa1510! Intetesting you have mentioned this! Went yesterday to my GP, he was not able to prescribe long term acyclovir as he couldn't find any guidelines about this! All the best
    • Posted

Hi pitasha, My consultant recommended trying Aciclovir 400mg as a suppresent.  I was referred to a Infectious Diseases Consultant through the NHS.Fingers crossed this continues to work.For over 12 years now i have suffered Shingles and the complication of Shingles, Ramsey Hunt Syndrome.Take care
    • Posted

Thank you, Lisa! I will pass this information to my GP!
  • Posted

Hi Katsin,

First, I am sorry for your suffering. I would also suggest that you can take preferably Famvir 500 mg 1 tab daily to supress the virus. There is medical literature,scientific studies that shows it is beneficial in certain people. Famvir is more efficacious than Acyclovir.

I am on an anticonvulsant which attenuates the pain and helps prevent the dreaded post herpetic neuralgia. I have Herpes Zoster Oticus/shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years. You need to see a neurologist who understands the disease and pain and is willing to work with you.

It is possible to have such a mild case of chicken pox with only one tiny blister that your parents or you would not have known you were ill.

I hope this helps. I am a nurse practitioner in the States.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi katsin:

This is Kevin from Canada also had resurring shingles for a few months (April to August) due to an exhausting trip and an illness. You have already received plenty of good advice. I think I may be able to add a couple more (I broke the vicious shingles cycles by strengthening my immune system rather than medication).

1 - Take L-Lysine as stated by one poster. Great advice

2 - Take green tea (2-3 a day). Very inexpensive and effective. Thanks to my mom for this and I pass around the advice.

3 - Take multi vitamines in particular vitamines D, B complex, A and C.

4 - Eat lots of fruits and vegetables in particular Orange, apples and berries.

5 - Eat high protein foods like meat, soya, cheese.

6 - Get plenty of sleep. I took even sleeing pills to sleep 10 hours a day.

Hope it works for you too.

Kevin

• Posted

Oh I forgot to mention in my post above (I don't know how to edit my post....

Watch out for the new shibgles vaccine due in 2017. It has been enhanced so that it is 97-98% effective in preventing shingles and even for elderly (regardless of age).

• Posted

Thank you for the good advice. I take a multi viramin and eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies as they are my favorite.I do take a prescription for nerve pain. I will ask my doctor about the new vaccine as well. I will try whatever I can. Shinles get so bad, I feel them coming on days vefore the outbreak. Love all the advice everyone has given me.
    • Posted

I'm so very sorry for your suffering. I have had shingles since I was 20, I had a very mild case of chicken pox and didn't even know until my Mom saw a spot, I thought it was bug bite. I was working at the front desk of a hotel in Vegas at the time. Since then I get them every 1-3 months, low spine tailbone left side. I've tried every vitamin and medication out there. Nothing has helped unfortunately. Looking for clinical trials. I wish you the very best!!!!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.