Recurring shingles after 21 days, not sure how to deal with this

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello,

My first shingles was August 13th, 2017, the second November 13, 2017 and the third today.

Each time,  I took acyclovir as soon as I could notice the rash. The first time I had vesicles and blisters and it took so long for me to feel better. The second one was mild but in less than a month, I am having shingles again.

Do i have to take acyclovir each time there is a rash?

How can I stop this?

When can I take the vaccine?

PS: I am eating really healthy and making sure my food is high lysine and low arginine. I also take L-Lysine supplement.

Any advice, Thanks for all your help.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lillyta,

I am so sorry you are ill, again.

I would ask for the antiviral, Famciclovir 500mg 3x daily for 7 days.

Acyclovir is somewhat resistant to the varicella virus. The dosing regimen is difficult as it is 5 times a day. It takes the longest to work on people, so the duration of the illness is longer.

Valcyclovir or Valtrex is based on Acyclovir. The tablets are huge to swallow.

I would have your Vitamin D level checked. If it is low, you need to take

Vitamin D3 2000 IU daily.

Low levels of Vitamin D are linked with viral diseases.

The Shingrex vaccine was approved by the FDA in October 2017. I would wait until that vaccine is available for the public.

I do not remember your age Lillyta. Zostavax's minimum age was 50 years.

Hopefully, Shingrex will be the same.

Unfortunately, in the UK, the minimum age was 70 years.

I hope this has helped you.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hello Merry,

Thank you so much for your kind message that brings lots of warmth.

I am 57, and I am taking vitamin D 3000IU a day. I live in Alberta (Canada) where winter is very long and don't get much exposure to sun, therefore we all have to take Vit daily .

Thank you for suggesting Famciclovir, next time I will ask the doctor for that one if it exists in Canada. I heard about the new vaccine, I hope it will be in the market soon, who knows, maybe it will end my shingles.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write back, very appreciated.

Lilly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.