Recurring Shingles or Post Neuralgia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

I am a 31 year old male and had recovered from my first bout of shingles in May '17.

I was forunate enough to get diagnosed early and was started on Antivirals the day the rash appeared. The rash effected my eye brow and forehead. As far as the pain went, I was lucky enough to not experience severe pain that is usually associated with shingles.The area mostly itched and tingled. The rash cleared up in about a week and away with it went the icthing and tingling. The scars are still present on the effected areas but it should be noted that the marks on my forehead look more like traditional scars while the marks on my eyebrow area look similar to small pimples. (It's looked the same post recovery) 

Very recently, I just noticed that when touching the scarred area on my eyebrow that I get a tingling / numb sensation on my forehead. I'm curious if this could be a sign that the Shingles are recurring or is this a case of Post Neuralgia? The numbing sensation is only felt when the scarred area is touched. Prior to my discovery, touching the eyebrow scars never resulted in the numbness.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? Can Post Neuralgia show up despite not having any negative pain/sensation for 3 months?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had neuralgia around my right eye and forehead for about ten months. The active shingles was last Sept. and was not all that painful. Took the antivirals and the rash was gone in a few days. Then I had some forehead pain and burning. This still comes and goes...I dont kjnow if anything triggers it. But some months I have a little pain and burning and other times a lot. Like now! Mostly concentraded on the bony brow area and the eyelid burns. Makes my eye feel awful. Only suggestions from docs are all these awful pills like Lyrica or neurontin or amytriptiline. I keep trying to tough it out, but it gets very wearing to say the least. So the pain can come and continue for a long time after the active rash has gone.
    • Posted

Millwood- Did you feel the effects of the PHN immediately after your recovery?

I'm more concerned about my case being a recurance am actually hoping its a delayed PHN effect!

• Posted

I would say what I call this constant neuralgia began about a month after rash subsided. Had pink scarring on forehead and most pain was there. Scarring faded after about five months but PHN continued. For the couple of weeks after rash left I got excruciating stabbing pains every once in awhile. The stopped and the constant burning nerve pain too over.
  • Posted

lians,

Everyone is different in how their body reacts to shingles and the possible nerve pain that may come after. Numbness is one symptom that most doctors never mention in regard to shingles but it is one possible reaction to shingles. Before the shingles rash broke out on my body, I had numbness and tiggling in my feet that I never had before. This numbness and tiggling continued when the rash surfaced and has lasted even now months after my shingles is gone.

I spoke to one doctor about my feet numbness and tingling who told me that the spine actually carries the shingles virus and all along the spine there are sensitive nerves that go all the way up to the head. These aggravated nerves can cause numbness and PHN maybe lasting for months. My numbness is not constant. It comes and goes. It is definitely an after effect of shingles. I chose not to take the strong prescription drugs because of the side effects so I just try to live with my occasional foot numbness and contiuing nerve pain. Somedays are better than others in regard to the after discomfort of shingles. But, your problem is not unusual. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.