Recurring UTI's Since Hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm not new to this site, but I'm new to this group. I had a hysterectomy, removal of my ovaries, tubes and adjacent lymph nodes in July 2016 due to endometrial cancer diagnosis. I have been recovering well, but in mid December 2016 started to urinate more frequently.  I experienced no pain or blood in urine until mid January, 2017. (I've had UTI's before, and always got pain with them.) I was exhasted and felt very unwell, but didn't associate how I felt with a UTI, until I saw the blood.  For that infection (the bacteria was cultured) I was prescribed macrobid 100 mg, twice a day for 7 days.  The infection cleared up in a week.

Unfortunately, I began to urinate frequently and feel unwell on May 4. My urine was tested, and cultured again.  My doctor again put me on macrobid, and I've been on it for 7 days. I took the last pill this morning.  This time on the drug, I've felt more side effects and unwell while taking the macrobid than before.

Today I got a call from the office and was informed that a prescription for 250 mg of ciprofaxin was going to be called in for me, in case my UTI symptoms returned.  I am concerned about cipro, but I can't take penicillin or bactrim.  The nurse and I agreed that if my symptoms came back I would start taking the cipro and let them know.

Since the previous UTI, I've made sure to take cranberry capsules and probiotics daily, including the cultures lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and lactobacillus furmentum (sp?) RC-14. Won't taking macrobid and cipro so close together wipe out all my beneficial bacteria?

Any advice/information will be much appreciated!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I went in about a week ago with negative uti tests they treated me for it still and now about a week later I have blood in my urine and pain on the left side and flank area I also has hysterectomy with cancer but no spread I go to dr on Wednesday for my check up I'm nervous though.

• Posted

Hi Amanda, when did you have your op? I also got probiotics to insert in my vagina, but I haven't used them yet.  Trying everything I can to make sure I don't get one again.  I guess once you don't have much estrogen all your bacterial balance is off and your tissues deteriorate.  Ugh

Please let me know how you get on!

• Posted

My operation was January 2015

I had uterine cancer and they took all but kept my ovaries

What do you mean by how do I get on

And did u bleed with your uti?

• Posted

HI, Amanda.  I was diagnosed with uterine cancer in July, 2016.  One of my ovaries had a cyst on it, so just to make sure all was safe, they took my ovaries, tubes and adjacent lymph nodes.  

I had blood in my urine with my uti.  But that was after I'd had it for a while.  I believe I came down with it one month before I passed some blood.  I had no other symptoms, no cramping or pain on urination.  I just felt as if I was coming down with a bad cold, aching all over, exhausted with a horrible headache. But I was having to urinate a lot.

"How you get on" is another expression for "let me know how things go for you."

• Posted

I also am experiencing recurrant UTI's since having a hysterectomy for uterine cancer, my GP says that it is a lack of estrogen (can never spell that) that contributes to it, she spoke to my consultant about putting me on an estrogen cream but he said no as my cancer was estrogen dependant, so I am fighting UTI's constantly, am drinking loads of water, no coffee I don't smoke or drink alcohol, wash only with water and sometimes unperfumed soap wash underwear with soapnuts and tke all the usual suppliments, I don't know what else to do now, with so many women suffering in this way you would think that someone somewhere would come up with a definite cure..................we can but hope.

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

Sorry to learn you're going through this!  I think you're probably doing about the same things that I am.  However, I just started using some vaginal cream without hormones.  Has petroleum jelly and mineral oil in it, as I've noticed in my research that thinning irritated vaginal tissue is though to contribute to UTI's.  

I may check out something with coconut oil in the next few days at my local health food store.  

I also got vaginal suppositories containing the cultures lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and lactobacillus furmentum (sp?) RC-14, but I haven't used those yet.

Going through all this is adding insult to injury.  sad  

• Posted

I've just looked on my calendar and the last antibiotic I took was on the 8th March so not bad going for me I suppose, I have 'back up' anti biotics which I was really hoping I wouldn't have to take, I will see how I go over the next couple of days before resorting to that, I'll drink a bit more water, though I feel as if I am already drinking the equivalent of the contents of my aquarium (20 imp galls) LOL! Fingers crossed I can flush it through.

Think I will investigate the suppositories you mention in the meantime.

Keep smiling biggrin

Phoebe

• Posted

Hi Phoebe,

The Cipro is such a broad spectrum antibiotic, it takes care of almost everything!  

Take care, and let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

Sorry for delay Lynda, I've never been offered Cipro only Trimethaprim, I had to resort to taking them this time, I have just finished a 3 day course, my first since March, hopefully they will keep it at bay for a while.

Have you tried the supps yet? let me know when you do and let me know how you get on.

Phoebe x

• Posted

Hi Phoebe, good to hear from you! Sorry to learn you had to use the antibiotics. I've learned that Cipro isn't usually offered in the UK, because of all the long term side effects.  Doctors are very wary of it.  It's under investigation in the US because of the side effects, but docs here prefer the shotgun effect:  "kill everything in sight and maybe you'll get the bad guys." smile

I am using the mixture of petroleum jelly and mineral oil about every other day.  I would say I'm inserting a couple of teaspoons.  It seems to ease the cramping I sometimes get.  I bought some suppositories with coconut oil, palm oil and vitamin E at the health food store, but had to order an applicator.  I just got that. Haven't tried the bacterial culture suppositories yet.  

Once I finish the cream, I'll move on to the coconut oil suppositories. For some reason, I'm worried about using the bacterial cultures... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.