Recurring UTI since May 2022

Posted , 5 users are following.

Greetings,

I've had a recurrring UTI since May 2022. My initial symptoms were pain in my back flank area, and the urgency to urinate all the time. I immediately set up a televisit with the doctor who prescribed Bactrim, twice daily for 3 days.

The symptoms subsided, but ultimately didn't leave. I was able to manage through the pain by taking AZO pills, probiotics, cranberry and several other home remedies (garlic, ginger, etc.) until I decided enough was enough. I went to the doctor in June to get some help... to understand what was going on with my body and the symptoms of constant need to urinate and my blood pressure was slightly raised. I didn't feel right. They did see that my blood pressure was raised, and my body was fighting something due to the slightly high red blood cell count. They mentioned my body fighting something, but we had to find the culprit. They gave me another set of antibiotics (nitrofurantoin) to fight off the symptoms and instructed me to take probiotics. That did NOTHING!

Day 3 while on the prescription - I still had these urinary problems. This time it got so bad that my flank was sensitive to touch, strong urine smell, cloudy/darkish yellow urine and it was impossible for me to stand. I rushed to the emergency room while on the prescription and they told me they couldn't do anything for me. I should finish out the prescription and contact my primary as soon as possible. I was LIVID because the prescription was not working. I left that emergency room and went to another hospital for help and they immediately helped. They did an ultrasound, did a blood test and found that I did have a bacteria infection. They prescribed antibiotics (augmentin) and asked me to follow up with my primary.

Visit to the primary ultimately led to the urologist and then to the infectious disease doctor (2 month span all the while taking several brands of antibiotics): I did a thorough an extensive urinalysis, MRI, and another ultrasound of the bladder and kidney. which the results didn't come back for 3 days. Late August 2022, it resulted in me having a UTI, blood in my urine with E. Coli bacteria that was resistant to pretty much every antibiotic that I have taken. The infectious disease doctor prescribed an IV Antibiotic (ertapenem) for 5 days that should have eliminated the bacteria. It did! The E. Coli was gone; HOWEVER, unbeknownst to me this new form of bacteria was growing.

Fast forward.... late October 2022 to Present. I called the infectious disease doctor and we ran another urinalysis. The test results came back in 3 days. I had another form of bacteria - Klebsiella pneumoniae that was susceptible to a lot of antibiotics. My doctor prescribed Cipro 500, twice a day, for 5 days. I finished the Cipro prescription a week ago, and here it is... I have the same symptoms that I started with. Back pains, cloudy urine at times, and the urgency to constantly urinate.

Note: I drink a bunch of water daily, I take probiotics, d-mannose, and kombucha DAILY. I am named the bacteria because I am just learning about them, and I don't know if I should STOP taking probiotics. I don't like taking medications. I have been looking for similar stories, but I haven't found anything. Does anybody have any remedy or advise that they can give to help this situation?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Hi,

I am not in healthcare but have taken college classes with experts on herbs and herbal treatments.

These professors stated to never take herbal remedies with pharmaceutical drugs. Herbs can magnify the effects of pharmaceutical drugs to the point of causing death.

I have gotten hold of some bad kombucha which resulted in symptoms similar to yours. The fermentation process they use can easily go awry causing some type of situation like

e coli.

Also, if the purpose of the antibiotic is to get rid of infection, I would suggest leaving off the probiotic as well.

I, personally, only drink spring water. Tap water with chlorine contains halogens which can affect your thyroid gland.

It has been observed that lemon juice or lemonade is better at ridding the body of UTI's than cranberry juice.

Chik fil a makes lemonade from fresh lemons. While I deplore their food, it might behoove you to sip on some if their lemonade two or three times a week.

Finally, take all sugar out of the diet. Sugar causes a multitude if problems.

• Posted

I have a recent problem with UTI- resistant to many antibiotics and an unusual organism enterobacter cloace. My urologist from Michigan Medicine has prescribed a different type of antibiotic, it is a powder, you mix with water and it goes directly into your bladder and stays there for several days. It makes me nervous to think of taking though, but I have no choice. He said he did not want to prescribe Cipro, because it is a kind of bad drug (black box problems).

I am going to take it tomorrow though I am nervous about it. This organism is aggressive and could be dangerous if not eradicated.

• Posted

marilyn93251 - I have taken Cipro many times - so now I am wondering, what is 'black box problems' ? Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.