Recurring UTIs

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am currently in hospital with a uti and kidney infection. It is my first time being hospitalised with this. I am absolutely petrified of having to come back and keep being admitted to hospital. I am also scared of being immune to antibiotics as I am already allergic to penicillin, which rules a lot out! I am 22 and I shouldn't have to be in and out of hospital but I am scared that's how I am going to end up.

I have had recurring UTIs for many years since being a small child, however during high school years I didn't have any until I was around 17/18. I am still getting them now and 22, I used to have them 2/3 times a month but since having the copper coil put in I have had less but I am still getting them (this is my 2nd one in 3 months). In all honesty, it is ruining my life and making me feel extremely depressed and scared for the future. Currently, I am in my last year at university (the most important year) but out of 6 weeks I have only been for 2 weeks as I have been suffering with this. I have essays to write and my dissertation and I am now behind. I am missing out on social events too because of this and having to keep going to the toilet frequently. It is also affecting my relationship with my boyfriend as I am petrified of having sex in fear of getting another UTI. However, saying that whilst we were on holiday during the summer we had sex a lot and I went in hot tubs too (which I know are bad and filled with bacteria) but during this time I didn't get one once! The last one I had was before Christmas, I was Christmas shopping with a friend in Nottingham and I had no signs or symptoms until I went to the toilet and it burnt. After that I was in so much pain that my friend had to drive me home! This time round I had more symptoms 2 days previous to getting this I was extremely fatigued I have never been so tired in all my life and was going to the toilet very frequently. Unfortunately, I ended up in hospital as 3 lots of oral antibiotics did not work and I am now on IV antibiotics - but after an ultrasound proved inconclusive they have stopped investigating it with the conclusion being 'they don't know'.

Years ago I had another ultrasound and another test at the general - both of which proved to be inconclusive so once again they just said they didn't know and that was that!

I am at the point now where I am so depressed and so fed up with it that I am literally crying my eyes out! Can you please help me? Either working to find a cure or the cause of these, or even helping me to prevent these?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Louise,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are suffering. I'm in the same boat as you. I have an embedded infection and have been on antibiotics for a year and a half now. It's crazy!!

The best place I can suggest that you seek help is the bladder health uk charity. They are amazing. You can contact them via their website by email now

Please message me privately. Let me know how you get on. I am allergic to nearly all antibiotics. Keep in touch. You will come through this my friend.

Take care,

Good luck.

Sam x

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Thank you for replying! A year and a half?!?! That's insane sad do you think they're working though? I got out of hospital today but I'm still in pain and it is really really sore down there and stings when I pee - but maybe it is thrush?

Im petrified that 1. It hasn't fully gone and 2. I get another one. I am so desperate that I am looking into herbal remedies now and even prayer healing!

I will look into the charity you mentioned - I have never heard of this before!

I really hope that you start to get better! I know that it is no fun at all sad

Thank you,

Louise xx

• Posted

So pleased that you managed to get out of hospital Louise. Might be an idea to purchase some urine testing strips, that way you will know if the infection is still present. Your best bet is to speak to that charity, I can't sing their praises enough. They are truly amazing. The antibiotics I am taking are Cephalexin as well as Trimethoprim. I have to self catheterise, so no fun at all. I'm just grateful that I have a very supportive husband and daughters. Do you know which antibiotic they put you on in hospital?

Sam x

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner!!

Where can I purchase those strips? I will definitely speak to the charity! I have also since been to see a private proffesor of urology who thinks that I have reflux. I'm waiting for a CT scan on the NHS to confirm or deny this, but I hope that it is that so atleast they can do something about it - does that sound crazy? I had something beginning with M in hospital but I'm not too sure?! I have Trim' as a 6 month course now but it never usually works in a 3 day course to rid me of an infection so I doubt it will work as a prevention. I'm also taking triple action crandberry tablets now too. What is self catherisation?! Also I have just had intercourse for the first time since being in hospital today and now I am litterally petrified of getting another one!! Fingers crossed, touch wood and prayers that I don't have one!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.