red Bumps that form acne/cysts recurrently appear around mouth/lip area. (Not Herpes)

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been having this problem for a long while now and I dont know what else to do. It is extremely stressful and embarrassing to deal with. Usually every week to every other week one of these appears around the lip and mouth area. It usually starts off as a very small white bump that is only visible when the skin is stretched so when i smile for example. then eventually this little bump will form into a red larger one which is slightly sore when the skin is stretched or a bit of pressure is applied to it.At this point, I apply things such as acne cream, aloe vera gel, honey, ect... Nothing seems to heal it and make it go away. Then it seems like it gets worse and forms a large whitehead. Even if i dont pop it, it always seems to leave a large scar in place. This apparently is not herpes because I recently received a negative blood test for both HSV1 and 2. My doctor says it could be from shaving or not washing razors but there has been a few times where I haven't shaved at all and these things still popped up. My doctor prescribed me a zinc bacterium ointment but it doesnt seem like that is working either. What can this be? Can it be a reaction from something im using like crest toothpaste and listerine mouthwash? I also use Baking soda and tea tree oil mix as a mouth rinse. Sometimes I brush my teeth with tea tree oil. Can it be from dry mouth?because I do breathe from my mouth most of the time because I can barely breathe through my nose due to a deviated septum. Could it be Eczema? because i do have that as well  Any advice on how to tackle this would be much appreciated. I need all the help i can get. I cant take this anymore. It's very embarrassing and lowers my self esteem rapidly. I feel like everyone thinks I have the herpes virus.

(The one on the far left is one that is sore atm. I woke up this morning with it suddenly being sore whenever I stretched the skinby smiling or moving my cheeks. The other two are scars.)

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I think it might be your mustache that's causing the irritation. Have you tried shaving it off completely then apply aloe vera after that?

I have eczema and I get small bumps on top of my lips at times.. it could be food.. could be anything.. and it stays for a few days.. if i pick it it gets bigger.. so I leave it alone, apply some tea tree oil / acne gel and it subsides..

• Posted

I have not tried shaving it off and I honestly don't want to shave it off but I might have to now to truly see if this is what is causing the problem. I do wash the area with warm water every night before bed and every morning when i wake up. I've had a mustache for years and this all of sudden started happening months ago. I wonder why it hasn't acted up before when i first grew in the mustache. This makes me think that it might be something else 

• Posted

And also, the upper lip isnt the only area where these bumps/cysts occur. They can pop up on e lower lip outline and anywhere in the bald area near the mouth or chin where there is no beard as well.
  • Posted

You seem to use a lot of preparations on/in your mouth,and I wonder if you are drying out the lip area and making it susceptible to infections. Try using just a toothpaste and cleaning your teeth thoroughly,but nothing else. just use plain water as a mouthwash. Are you a lip chewer?

Has your doctor suggested that an antibiotic may clear up these infections?

Alternatively,keep the area scrupulously clean with just soap and water,keep your hands away from your face...no fiddling with your beard/mustache and look for a face cream with retinol/Vitamin A as one of its ingredients to use at night. Are you in UK?

• Posted

Forgot to say...on no account must you squeeze or burst these spots...that will make them spread.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.