Red eye past 3 weeks!

Posted , 3 users are following.

It started with slight redness and sensitivity to light 17 days back. It followed with severe pain, swelling, redness, itchiness in the corner when it became unbearable and I visited a GP. On her suggestion I started applying Optrex infected eye drop and ointment for 5 days and Ibrufopen and paracetamol-codeine 400mg until the pain stops. No changes after following what I was told. GP is not referring me to an optometrist saying it conjunctivitis and it will go on its own. It has been 17 days and very difficult to live with red eye. Any suggestions/insight to what exactly this infection is all about? What  can be done?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Those 2 medications are the usual drugs given for this sort of infection and should work well. Has there been any improvement at all? Less itching and swelling for example?  Do you have any discharge eg pus,in the eye?

Has your vision been affected,and do you have a headache?   

If there has been no change at all you may have uveitis which needs more urgent attention.  If your GP wont consider any other problem/medication then try to get urgent attention at A/E  or from an optician.   Sorry I dont know if you are in UK or US.  In US that would be ER and optometrist I think.

• Posted

Hmm.. That does throw a bit of insight.. Well, swelling has reduced due to ibrufopen.. My gp suggests Scelera.. No discharge.. Bit of itch in the corner.. But generally it is red eye with pain..
    • Posted

Ya...I met an opthalmologist yday...he said it is uveitis! Honestly saying, I have no background of low immunity/rheumatism, etc..wonder how it came on to me....anyways, he gave me steroid eye drop called pred forte and atropine 1%...the pain has been taken care of..however redness still exists...this treatment would be going on for a month... this entire journey is making me nervous and depressed..hopefully will get sorted soon smile

• Posted

Not sure what you mean by "GP suggests sclera"  Do you mean scleritis? The sclera is just the white part of your eye,which in your case I think is inflamed.   

Hope this clears for you soon,sometimes steroid drops can be used if this is true scleritis or episcleritis which is more common.    That "bit of itch" could be a sign that you are on he mend,but do go back to your GP if that pain doesnt subside soon.

• Posted

The Ophthalmologist will examine the eye and knows more about eye conditions, I was given Lotemax drops twice a day for five days and then once a day for five days a tapered dose, worked great. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    • Posted

Thank u...opthalmologist says it is uveitis...i have been given a steroid eye drop called pred forte....and atropine 1%...hopefully will be sorted soon.. smile
  • Posted

Well, after a month's treatment using Pred Forte steroid eye drop , inflammation, pain seem to have gone. However, there is slight swelling on the eye lid..doesn't feel anything apart from when I look at the mirror...slightly swollen up..is that normal after treatment of Uveitis?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.