Red eyes, meibomian cysts and at wits end!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this forum for quite a while today about people who also suffer from Blepharitis along with some success stories which really made me want to post and join in.

I'm a 24 year old male who has been diagnosed with Blepharitis approximately 3-4 years ago. When I first got my diagnosis, I regularly had meibomian cysts so frequently, so large and so sore that it looked like I had constantly been losing fights! However this last year or two I've barely had any, however each and every day without fail I've had red eyelids. Specifically, the area around the eyelashes instead of the entire eyelids themselves.

I regularly suffer sensitivity to light or wind when there's a sudden environment change, however I can adjust to this very quickly after an initial impact. I am unsure as to whether or not I have dry eyes, as I can't really understand the symptoms and judge how my own eyes feel. I regularly feel like my eyes are burning, sometimes a little itchy, regularly bloodshot and as previously mentioned my eyelids around the eyelashes are always red.

I was wondering if I could get any advice from the lovely folks here who already have a greater knowledge of this monster than me about how I may act toward treating this.

I've heard about Optrex eye sprays and drops, as well as miracles about Wet Ones. However, for me specifically I don't know which, if any, would be best.

Thanks all, I look forward to killing Blepharitis and getting my eyes back! (Sort of speak).

Dan

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dan

I was told to have more Omega 3 in my diet. Since I don’t like oily fish I have Flax seed everyday in either porridge or orange juice. I saw an improvement in a couple of weeks and only have to use tears now and again. I hope this helps.

Janet

• Posted

Warm compresses on your eye should calm the swelling. Do this 2 times a day , preferably in the morning and night time for about 8 weeks. 
  • Posted

Hi Dan and everyone else who reads this,

Dry eye suffer for 3 years and has caused blepharitis recently. The pain can get pretty unbearable and sometimes it puts you down. I went to a herbal clinic because I felt like the doctors were not doing anything to help me. The doctor at the herbal clinic gave me eye tablets to take twice a day and an special tea for eyes (triphala) which I drank everyday, to use rose water and cucumbers on your eyes for 10 mins doing it every opportunity you get. Aloe Vera sticks put in the fridge take it out in the morning and put it over the lid. The doctors say to warm the eye but really the itching, burning and redness comes from the warmth of the eye which the herbal person told me and in fact was very true. He also advised me to use my eye drops at the same time which are the Hyaback Thea (around £10.50) they are preservative free and actually work better than prescribed drops from the eye clinics. He also advised me to carry on take my vitamins including omega 3, but also take an extra supplement for vitamin D and vitamin B12(if you look on your vitamins you’ll find these only come in 5ug or slightly more which is not enough.  He also advised to eat less salt and no chilli food as the acid in your stomach can make your body feel hot.  Likewise anything with caffeine is very bad too. Try herbal teas like green tea decaffinated. Another point to make is don’t stop yourself from loving the things you do, the more you worry the more your body knows you are doing this so don’t cut out everything that makes you happy. 

My result: I saw a woman at the eye clinic in the hospital 3 months ago she said I had to “deal with my blepharitis” and my “dry eye” they won’t ever go away. When I went to the herbal clinic and started taking the supplements etc. I didn’t initally feel a change. But I recently started to feel a difference I wasn’t getting as tired as I used to and my eyes were not constantly hurting or dry. I had my routine check up again and I can happily say the man told me there was no blepharitis. He also said I still have dry eyes but he was surprised at the fact they were not as dry as he was expecting them to be. 

I wanted to post this comment because I feel that there are other ways to relieve your symptoms and it does take a lot of patience. Visit any Ayurvedic clinic nearby and they will certainly be able to help you. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.