Red foot , leg

Posted , 5 users are following.

i broke my ankle in MARCH . 2020 . JUST got out of a boot last Tuesday , so week and a half . I noticed my foot turns red and sometimes leg when down . But when its up laying down , it goes back to normal color . When I put boot on its fine and when I Take it off its fine . Because of virus I dont get to see the dr often . But was told by last xray I can partial weight bare starting last week and work to full weight bare following week ! I dont see a live DR UNTIL June 23 ! IM upset and depressed I cant full weight bare !! I expected to be able to walk in boot by now !! But IM scared . Seems to me it would take more time . I dont know . I went to a broken ankle and leg group about discolor sometimes , , it freaked me out . Think of blood clots . The people on that sight said it was normal and eventully will go away . IM so worried about walking ! Seems like the DR. thought I should FULL WEIGHT BARE now!! Doesnt that take more time !!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Edited

Take it easy on yourself. Its a hard recovery and it can take time to weight bear fully again. The color in your foot will go away. After a long day, my foot still sometimes turns colored for a bit. Ive got two plates and 12 screws in my ankle. Keep up with any physical therapy exercises. Keep walking, the more you practice and make your foot move as normal as possible. Its going to suck some days, but it will get better. You have to regain the muscle memory back.

• Posted

Take it easy on yourself. Its a hard recovery and it can take time to weight bear fully again. The color in your foot will go away. After a long day, my foot still sometimes turns colored for a bit. Ive got two plates and 12 screws in my ankle. Keep up with any physical therapy exercises. Keep walking, the more you practice and make your foot move as normal as possible. Its going to suck some days, but it will get better. You have to regain the muscle memory back.

• Posted

• Posted

hi hun,

yes everything is normal your experiencing .

dont be scared try to weight bare as tolerated .

red feet and swelling is completely normal .

I still have yet to see my doctor since my first follow up appointment because of the virus.

we do virtual appointments over the phone till I get my x-rays done so he can look at them before hand.

also I’m a month behind in physical therapy because of the virus.

but every week it’s getting better pain with physical therapy is different from healing pain

keep walking as best as you can

try to move to one crutch when you feel safe

then no crutches when your able too

God Bless you and your recovery

• Posted

i cant walk on crutches , I almost fell . So I bought a walker . Im not real sure how to full weight bare on it . I can stand in the boot without touching the walker . Sometimes I just stand . But discotaged I cant walk in the boot . I see others that do ? Im having a hard time with being so isolated and not being able to walk . I Guess the Dr made it sound like I should walk . He said I shoukd be able to full weight bare . I am so discoraged . Thank you for your reply

• Posted

hi hun,

yes everything is normal your experiencing .

dont be scared try to weight bare as tolerated .

red feet and swelling is completely normal .

I still have yet to see my doctor since my first follow up appointment because of the virus.

we do virtual appointments over the phone till I get my x-rays done so he can look at them before hand.

also I’m a month behind in physical therapy because of the virus.

but every week it’s getting better pain with physical therapy is different from healing pain

keep walking as best as you can

try to move to one crutch when you feel safe

then no crutches when your able too

God Bless you and your recovery

• Posted

marie were you born in 52 ? I was born in 54. Yes IVE ONLY SEEN A LIVE dr twice . No Physical tharapy yet . Dr said appt on June 23 talk about PT . Thats if they dont cancel on me again ! The virus has really slowed things down . Im suppose to get another xray and see live DR .❤

• Edited

Hi I saw my consultant this week and was told all OK for me to partial Weight bear with my boot on and can take my boot off when resting. I had my first proper physio session yesterday I too was very worried thinking I would be expected to weight bear right away but I can reassure you the physio helped moved my ankle and massaged it a little to help the movement and stiffness. When moving it there was discomfort but I was surprised for me not intense pain. I was helped to put my leg in the right position for walking and given an exercise to practice standing properly and before I knew it the physio asked me to move my injured leg forward and then my normal leg following and before I knew it I was partial weight bearing and walking down my hallway. Admittedly it was slow and jerky movements not fluid movement but I only felt a little discomfort but I had taken my prescription painkiller in preparation which I would advise. I had in my mind convinced myself I would not walk properly again through the days when I felt depressed so was amazed how quickly he helped me realise there's a light at the end of the tunnel and with exercises and determination on my part I now believe I will walk with time. As I say I have had my boot on for 9 weeks and it was my first physio session but feel more confident already. I am sure there is more discomfort and hard work to come in my weekly sessions. The foot going reddish blue when down I too have every time my foot is not elevated so I think that's normal. Please don't worry too much you won't be expected to full weight bear straight away you have to build up to that and it won't be as bad as you imagine it will be. I wish you lots of luck in your recovery. Julie x

• Posted

Thank you Julie ! I have not seen a Pt . Im suppose to go in on JUNE 23 to see live DR AND GET AN XRAY . Sorry about caps ! I noticed on here it doesnt go off auto ! Im hoping my crappy insurance will pay for Pt . DR said we will talk about it when I SEE HIM . It is scary and depressing . I was active before and independent . I Have an adult disabled Son with schizoprenia I care for . Thank God he is sweet natured . I Just have to direct him . But I can see this is affecting him . My neighbor has been doing everything for me . Thank God for him as I just met him a couple of months becore this happened . Because of virus , no one comes over . Its a hard difficult time . I Wish it was just a nightmare and I WOULD WAKE UP . Thank you for responding . It helps to communicate with others that understand .My fear is not being able to walk again !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.