Red irritant eyelid with eyelashes in different direction

Posted , 3 users are following.

It started as a lump about 3-4 year ago I thought it was a spot so I just left it washed my face more then it just spread across my lower eyelid on my left eye and it has got increasingly irritating and the redness shows more and one side of my eyelid the eyelashes has changed direction and has made it even more irritating it feels like they are poking me in the eye and when I try to get it out my eye stings and I can't stop touching it then my eyes water and make it worse I have been washing my eye/face properly every morning but has no signs of improvement I has also spread on my right eye not so much thankfully but it's still effected also in the mornings there's crust all around the main part where the lump originated there is also bright red/purple veins there aswell it's getting worse and I really would like contact lenses I have had a trial but it was a no go from the start any help would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you been to your GP?  You ought to get it checked, especially if it has been going on for 3-4 years.

It could be anything, such as blepharitis for example.

Go and see your GP and if necessary, ask to be referred to an Ophthalmologist.

• Posted

Hi yes the 1st doctor I seen give me this eye ointment can't remember the name was too long but it done nothing I then seen another doctor and she said it was because of dirt or bad bacteria witch I thought wasn't the right diagnosis because I wash my face properly every morning and night and it doesn't make it batter at all I have told the doctor that I think it may be bleparitus but she just shook her head and said I'm the doctor I am right don't listen to the indernet
  • Posted

Can you post a picture Chris?
    • Posted

When you type a reply there are 4 square buttons to the top right of where you're typing. The one on the furthest right is to upload an image.
  • Posted

Was it  Chloramphenicol?  https://patient.info/medicine/chloramphenicol-for-eye-infections

It isn't just a case of washing your face, it depends on how you do it.  First of all, wash normally, then change the water to hot with a spot of baby shampoo or similar mild handwash and soak a flannel in it, wring it out and place over your eyes until it cools, repeat 2 or 3 times.  Do this morning and night.

You don't say whether you are male or female. either way, don't use any creams near your eyes, this clogs the meibomian glands

https://patient.info/health/blepharitis-leaflet

It also sounds as though you are having a clash of personalities with the doctor and perhaps you should see a different GP, or, start again with the one you are seeing.  Don't tell the doctor what to do, Ask 'do you think it could be........'  and see if you get on better.

Good luck

• Posted

Yes! That's it ha

And ok a will give that way a go I just give it a normal 2 minute clean but that sounds like it may work thanks and I am 21 year old male by the way

I have changed GP and she has made an effort more than my previous smile

• Posted

Let me know how you get on Chris.  I have been seeing an Ophthalmologist for a long time and a few years ago, nurses were saying use a cotton bud and clean the rims of your eyes and it had no effect.  I got so fed up with being told the same thing, that I asked to see the Consultant and he told me to do the above,  I have had no problems since.  

Have the water as hot as you can stand it and you will find it very soothing.

• Posted

Hi I have done what you said and it's fantastic I totally forgot about it yesterday was over the moon a few weeks/months of this and it should be back to normal thanks for your help
    • Posted

Chris, I am so pleased for you and remember, even when it has disappeared, keep up the regime, otherwise it will creep back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.