Red itchy rash back and chest

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a red itchy rash on my back (mostly lower) and chest (just under breasts), although it is now starting to spread to the back of thinghs.   It is characterized by small, red lumps under the skin, which itch excessively.   Skin in affected area is also slightly, just slightly, sensitive to the touch.

Currently on cortisteroid cream 0.02% prescribed by my GP, previously have used calamine lotion.   Both these treatments settle the itch a little but do nothing in the way of making it go away.   I believe the 0.02 % is actually making it worse, previously was using 0.01% cortisteroid I bought over the counter.

GP has mentioned Grovers disease but as the lumps are not blister like I have my doubts.

I should also mention I also have a PMR type disease which affects my wrists, forearms, elbows and neck but has lately also started to affect my rib area on my back.   I have been treating it with prednisone for about 2-3 months starting on 15mg but now sown to 10mg as my GP now thinks it is not PMR.

Initially I thought the rash a side effect of prednisone but my GP says no...

Difficult to take GPs serious, they just seem to take a guess and say 'try this'.

Anyway, any ideas?   I'm about ready for the padded room with this itch..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Do you use any fragranced body sprays or powders?
  • Posted

I get a similar problem caused by certain washing powders. The trouble is every now and then they seem to change the formula.

As you say the pain you have does not appear like PMR although it could be. PMR tends to be bilateral with nasty pain in the shoulders and /or hips. Did the prednisone have a miraculous effect when you started to take it. Did you have blood tests with high inflammation markers such as ESR and CRP? 

• Posted

Nope, no perfumes, body sprays, none of that, I'm a male so I naturally smell gooood.,   Did try sorbolene, which I also use for sebhorea but that seemed to make it worse.

Yes pain miraculously went two hours after forst dose of prednisone,, unfortunatately, doing anything with my hands/arms, and I mean anything, and the pain comes right back.   Based on that GP said it wasn't PMR but I still have my money there.  PMR also affects hands, arms, feet, what have you just not as common.   Pain is bilateral, blood tests revealed elevated ESR and anaemia, that's why I have my money still on PMR - ticks all the boxes.

But, that's not what I'm asking about, asking about the rash, it's driving me crazy but have another 2-4 weeks until I'm off prednisone.

• Posted

Could it be the washing powder?

It does sound like PMR in that case. 

• Posted

How much prednisone are you taking?  Will your PCP refer you to a dermatologist?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.