red itchy skin under eyes,help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello. I woke up yesterday morning and my left under eye was bright red and stinging very badly. A few people said it might be a stye so I tried the teabag trick and had no luck. Today it has got a lot worse,the skin under my eye is now really inflamed,itchy and bumpy! Any idea what this could be??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Teabaga are full of fungal spores. Ever seen one a week after use!  

We opthalmologists cannot recommend such a thing but I know warm compresses can be soothing.   In Australia people might blame this on a spider bite!  At any rate it could be a skin infection and require antibiotics by mouth.  If the upper lid becomes droopy, eye bulging or double vision it means a deep infection requiring urgent intravenous antibiotics.  Another possibilty is the "cold sore virus".  A stye seems unlikely unless an it has spread from ay eyelesh follicle into the surronding skin. An allergy is also unlikely as only one eye is bothering you.  You should see a GP.

• Posted

Some sort of allergy perhaps, maybe even hay fever?

I suggest you make an appointment with your doctor to get it checked out. 

• Posted

I think ill have to phone and ask for an emergency appointment as I have just woken up and its swollen and has two or three little bumps which are bright red and very itchy,worse than last night. Its also making my eyes water as if I'm crying and when the tears fall onto the tight skin there it burns really badly. The area also feels really dry. Thankyou both,I have tried cold and warm compresses and haven't worn any makeup since I noticed it. I don't think I've used any different products,foods etc recently that I can think of so I'm really stuck as to what it might be! Thanks both of you😊😊

• Posted

As a stop-gap have you considered trying some antihistamine tablets?
    • Posted

I only have piriton tablets,maybe I should try those in the meantime? All the skin is peeling around that eye now,very irritating!
    • Posted

It could have been a soap, aerosol, or other airborn allergy-related reaction as the piriton seems to have helped.

Should the condition reoccur then I would advise you to seek the advice of your doctor.

• Posted

Hi Amy.  I am not a doctor, however I have had lots of eye problems in my time.  The best thing you can do is go to your local A and E department and get your eye looked at.  Could be something really easy to sort out, but if you leave it, it's not going to get better on it's own.  Best of luck and try not to worry they will be very gentle with you Netz 
    • Posted

Hi Netz,thankyou very much! It appears to have calmed down now and only itches occasionally,I am still considering going to get it checked at A&E though! Thankyou😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.