Red leg

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am rather worried because although my foot us healing well 4 weeks post bunionectomy my leg still becomes dark red as soon as I stand. Last week my surgeon told me it wasn't something to be worried about but yo tell him if it continued. I am wondering if this will go away...and when??? Does anyone else suffer from this red leg problem. I would be most interested to hear, especially if someone has experienced it and can tell me it goes away.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi no I've not had this but interested you at 4 weeks post op as so am I. Had cast off last night and shocked at the swelling. Have written a post on here if you would like to read it (I'm new to this forum by the way) Would love to hear your comments & your experience. 

• Posted

Hi !!

Am 1wk post op today & ive never experienced any red in the leg or anything, but I did have a few aches and pains in the bottom of my leg but it's gone now which I though was from resting so much and elevating in the first 3days, but am ok now with no pain anywhere just the bandages feel uncomfortable from the swelling of the foot going down and now loose !!

Might be normal though due to blood circulation or lack of movement!! I've been doing leg raises 4x a day & it's helping me! Hope this gets sorted asap!

• Posted

Thanks for your comments. I've been for strolls on the beach the last few days and have been moving around a lot. In fact I worry I did too much too soon perhaps. 

• Posted

Do you ever get like a stinging sensation above your big toe like it's maybe sweaty or something? Feels like my skin is itchy too!!

• Posted

Hi I'm 4 1/2 weeks post op & now cast & bandaging off I can see why my toe was itchy & tingling. The cast was rubbing & has caused blisters & very dry skin. Also I think as the wound heals it starts feeling quite tight (although it has opened up & was a little weepy) has now scabbed over (sorry if you're eating!😂wink gross isn't it! I had the lesser op of no fusion. What did you have?

• Posted

Not eating luckily haha! I had bunionectomy & big toe straightened & atkin soft tissue release so there is 2 screws holding parts together!! Sometimes my foot feels irritated a lot at times, I feel like my bandages are loose now so it's rubbing and falling forward if you no what I mean? Like a trickling feeling!! I am back at hospital Thursday to have bandages removed, just wondering do they re bandage? Also do I have to start walking on my whole foot instead of my heal?

• Posted

Hi you've had a more involved op than me! Just had bone shaved & tendon shortened. Was told 5-6 weeks in what I call the ugly shoe! Haha! Have you got one? It's called darco or something! But I saw consultant after a week & he took the cast off to have a look. And it looked amazing then!!! Was put back on with a lot more bandaging & it felt so tight I couldn't sleep but then it got loose & I started walking about more & it felt like the cast was loose & was coming off so I just pushed it back on! He said to come back in 3 weeks (so 4 weeks post op) which was this week & I had everything removed. That's when I was shocked at the swelling but also the fact my toe was leaning in which it didn't do before. I asked about my dissolving stitches & he said they were all gone although I could see them. He said to have a soak & massage with baby oil & it would get rid of them. But it didn't. It made the wound open up & bleed a little. So I don't think at 4 weeks the wound was ready to be uncovered. My next appointment is 2 months!!! Feel I will have to see him before that! Are you in U.K.?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.