Red Light or UVB therapy for Pityriasis Lichenoides

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with Pityriasis Lichenoides. They didn't give me a final PLC or PLEVA diagnosis, but it seems to be leaning toward the PLC (chronic) form. We've tried oral steroids, steroid shots, topical steroid cream, and multiple antibiotics with no improvement. The next step is phototherapy with Narrow Band UVB lights, but my insurance will charge a copay with each session (2-3 per week). I'm looking into other options, and I discovered a local place offering red light therapy. I wondered if anyone has tried this to treat PLC. Thanks!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I have not had red light therapy so can't comment but I have had phototherapy. I had 30 sessions in total and it cleared 90% of the 'spots'. However, I live in the UK and the treatment was free so I appreciate that this may not be the most economical option for you. I was so surprised how quickly the PLC cleared and whilst I have had flare ups, it has never been as bad as it was before the treatment. 

I read that sun beds helped and went for a few before the PLC was diagnosed formally. Be careful if you do this as it made mine so dry that my skin cracked which was very painful. 

I tried all anti biotics, steroid creams etc but nothing worked until the phototherapy. It is a very safe option too as the UV rays are controlled. You must be careful with sun exposure whilst going through this treatment though.

The only other thing that has helped me is sun! I went on holiday after a flare up (which I put down to stress) and the spots all disappeared! There must be a correlation with lifestyle too. 

I hope that you find what works for you! It may not be a dibilitating disease but it certainly can effect you psychologically! 

Best wishes,

Charlotte 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.