Red patch of skin on Shaft since August 2018

Posted , 4 users are following.

HI all,

ive got a red patch of skin on my shaft and had it since august 2018. Was tested for stds back in October and all clear. Went to my GP two weeks ago who said it doesnt look like anything and gave me betnovate cream which didnt work. i was sweating down there a lot when it appeared however i now always talc before going out as i do exercise a lot. I have seborich dermatitis however i dont think this would cause it? i dry masturbate daily, this can go on for 2/3 hours so maybe friction irritating it?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

should mention its dry, doesnt flake or itch either.

• Posted

doesnt hurt either unless i rub my finger up and down it with a slight bit of pressure but again thats creating friction?

• Posted

i put sudocrem on earlier hence the white on the lower left of the pic. i decided to mastutbate but only stroke the skin that covers the head of my penis (i dont pull it back as sometimes sticks when erect) and i see it starting to form there ever so slightly. ill be honest between yesterday and today my masturbation sessions probably add up to 4/5 hours maybe more.

• Posted

Funny enough, I was just reading about Seborrheic Dermatitis in the last couple of days. Okay, what I think you have going on is a combination of factors that are adding up to this being in place for so long.

Essentially, you will need to consider all the factors you mention : -

• the amount of exercise you do (clothing and sweat retention could be one issue)
      • the presence of Seborrheic Dermatitis
      • the frequency of masturbation (not an issue in itself, or the amount, just does not go together with the skin condition I would suggest)
      • specifically, the regularity of friction and the further irritation this causes to the skin in the area where a relatively long-term skin condition is present

I think the GP probably tried a relatively sensible approach - and here, I wonder how you were specifically directed to use the Betnovate?, although given the area, I think an ointment version may have been preferred.

With this in mind I wonder whether you have seen a Dermatologist about either the Seborrheic Dermatitis or this issue on your penis?

The problem with things like the sudocrem is that while it should have a positive impact, it is all too easy for this to become part of the problem rather than alleviating the situation, when a skin problem like this is present.

I had a dermatological issue in the groin region when I exercised 4 or 5 times a week: what I did was to shave off the majority of my pubic hair and switched to a more skin friendly shower gel. The thing you also have to be careful with when you shower is to ensure you completely dry the entire groin region as leaving the area even slightly damp in any way can encourage skin issues to develop, and certainly be part of the process of keeping this in place.

If there is anything in particularly you want to check out with me, then by all means hit the Reply Button. However, I would rather you went to see a Dermatologist about this initially, and then take it from there ...........

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, ive saw a dermatologist 4 years ago where he diagnosed me with seb derm. i used The betnovate cream twice a day as instructed, i actually started it on friday morning, used it sat morning as well and it actually made it worse. I checked the leaflet and guess where you're not meant to put it......

i train 4/5 times per week, i do cardio after 3 of those sessions also. I apply talc to the area + legs etc as i suffer from chafing. Is Aveeno worth trying? Going to ask gp for dermol 500 body wash as atm i used sanex but perhaps to strong? Had issues in the past where certain shower gels caused issues down there.

• Posted

I am not familiar with Aveeno and yes the Sanex is likely to be too strong, as like you I had issues with shower gels as I was having anywhere between 8 and 12 showers a week due to the various forms of exercise I was doing. If I remember rightly, the shower wash I ended using was called Original Source - I do not know if this is specific to the UK if you happen to be elsewhere.

The GP may not have the level of specific knowledge of all the interactive factors that apply to your situation - so my advice would be to go and see a Dermatologist and specify about the exercise you do and the need to find the right shower gel and the right combination of other things to achieve and retain the best level of healthy penile skin ......

• Posted

im in UK, will ask gp to refer me to dermatologist. Thanks

• Posted

just an update for anyone that is interested. Between talc, aveeno and change of boxers (larger ones so everything isnt compressed) this is starting to improve. skin is more pink than red and the area that it covers has reduced. Going to cut out dairy as apparently bad for those with skin conditions so lets see how it goes 😃.

• Posted

If you can update after you have seen the Dermatologist that would be good. This will be a long-term thing for you, so updating every 2 months or so would also be good ......

• Posted

is it any better now

• Posted

yeah pretty much. Applied Aveeno several times yesterday, applied talc several times and didnt use any shower gel on the area.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.