Red rash all over my body which tingles and bumpy (pictures)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have had a skin condition for months now. I am having 3 to 4 showers a day as it is the only thing that seems to soothe the pain. The doctor prescribed a lot of light steroid cream to apply all over my body which I do once in the morning and once before bed, even applying the cream makes my skin sting.

First, we had a cat and I confirmed that I was allergic and we got rid of the cat. The problem got a lot better, but it has been 6 months now and the problem has gone back with avengance.

Any help is much appreciated.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

u need to go back if the cream is not helping much it looks quite severe they may run more tests or try another treatment

• Posted

Look for methylisothiazolinone or something similar in shower gels or washing powders. Also get a full set of bloods taken including liver and kidney function tests. Do you drink alcohol? If you do, quit for a week to see if the rash improves. Try and think of any changes you made in your life since the rash came on, like a new fabric you are wearing, a new plant you are around or a new food you have been eating. Try taking antihistamine tablets to help with the irritation. Take them at night though as a lot of them can make you drowsy, but try not to take them with alcohol.

• Posted

Thanks, I will certainly take an antihistamine to help with the systems and sleeping. I only use natural and non-bio cleaning products called Method (UK) - I make an effort to cut down on dairy and more, so I'm finding it hard to pinpoint what it could be.

Yes I do drink but not for about 5 days now, but certainly cutting back. Blood test may be needed! Thanks for your help.

• Posted

It looks very like the folliculitis that I had

• Posted

Thanks derek76. After looking up this further this is not what I've been having. They do not boil or puss which is what I am reading happens. It does look very similar from my pictures though

• Posted

Pseudo-folliculitis is not really a true folliculitis. It does look similar, as little lumps form at the bases of hairs. These lumps do not contain pus. They are actually due to ingrowing hairs. Sometimes this problem causes scarring. Pseudo-folliculitis is more common in people with curly or Afro-Caribbean hair.

As mentioned above, these can cause a condition that looks like folliculitis. They are hairs that have curled around and grown back into the skin. Anyone can have ingrowing hairs (also called ingrown hairs), but they are more common in people who have very curly or coarse hair. Curly hair is more likely to bend back and re-enter the skin, especially after it's been shaved or cut. Ingrowing hairs may also be caused by dead skin cells blocking the hair growing as normal.

Ingrowing hairs often irritate the skin and make a raised, red bump (or group of bumps) that looks like a little pimple. Sometimes the bump(s) can be painful. In men, ingrowing hairs often pop up as a bunch of little bumps on the chin, cheeks, or neck after they've shaved. In women they often occur on the legs or bikini area.

Often an ingrowing hair will go away on its own. If it doesn't go away, an ingrowing hair can become infected, make the skin dark, or leave a scar. This is more likely if you've been scratching or picking the hair.

• Posted

Hi, my husband has a rash all over his front and back. Went to Dermatologist and had a biopsy taken and it turned out to be Grovers disease. . Also has eczema. Just using anti itch lotions and skin creams. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.