Red Rash on glans - uncircumcised, almost 2 months now - HELP!

Posted , 6 users are following.

A rather embarrassing problem. Since the end of October, I have had a reddish type of rash around the edge or ridge of my penis. I have attached photos. They have been since the end of October. I am ina committed relationship with a girl for just over 2.5 years now, very happily sexually speaking and for all accounts that I am aware of, she is totally clean, as am I - that I am aware of. NP that I see said that she thought that it was simply irritation. I had a spot not too long ago as well, that she checked out, and stated that she thought that that spot was also irritation. Back then in July, I was prescribed Nystatin cream but it did not help if I recall correctly. She gave me a refill which at the time, I did not fill. She did not mention anything about it being a possible balanitis. While she did bring up HSV, and offered me a test, I declined simply because she did not believe that it was that. Finding out if I even have an HSV infection would mentally break me anyways. Yes, I know, I know. A lot of people have it and it is fairly common, but right now, rather than giving me peace of mind, it would haunt me forever. Luckily, my GF says that she does not believe that I have that, nor does the NP even though I explained to her that with HSV, not everyone supposedly has the classic "HSV symptoms". GF proclaims that even if I did get diagnosed with that, she would stand with me. I guess time would tell that. But any social life after her if things went south would essentially be over. Staying on topic though, this rash has no pain, no itch and no ulcering or blisters. I had some groin pain not too long ago, that had me alarmed a bit but that has subsided. I thought that I may have also had a UTI due to constant peeing but PCP checked my urine, and was okay. Also have a touch of a cold, but nothing major there either. I actually wonder if it could be related to my prostate, or a prostate issue like another long thread on here that I have been following states that it might be for others. I do have some gut/stomach issues such as acid reflux and with my daily stress intake, I have had some self-diagnosed almost IBS-like issues. In that other thread, a leaky gut was also mentioned as a possible culprit. So wasn't HPV. So could it be HPV related? The rash does have some white skin particles or what resemble them sort-of peeling off of it. Sometimes on good days, it will fade to a pinkish tone but most of the time, it has a shiny coat to it. I never use soap anymore on it. Only warm water followed by the Lamisil application 1x, or 2x daily.

I recently also had my annual physical with my PCP in December (not the NP whom I normally see). She also observed it and stated irritation, but for a second opinion, brought in a male doctor in the practice who also took a look at it and suggested it as irritation as well, but also suggested a VDRL I guess to rule out Syphilis. He further suggested to my PCP to refer me to a urologist. See the urologist on the 27th. He also suggested to try Lamisil anti-fungal. Neither the Nystatin nor the Lamisil are really helping much. I also struggle with extreme anxiety, panic disorder and a component of depression which is mostly situational but is easily triggered by health-related issues, or anything really. Working with a social worker/therapist on that aspect. Mainly while either the NP nor the PCP are claiming a non-HSV infection, I am very concerned about it, and am frightened if I find out that is what it might be. As stated, I simply cannot handle that mentally speaking right now. At least cancer has a chance of being cured. HSV? Nope. So focusing on the non-HSV diagnosis for just a minute then, any ideas would be helpful as to what this is???

imageimage

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Apologies in advance, but I am UNABLE to read through everything you have stated above. You need to simplify what it is you have going on. It sounds (from what I have read) that you have tried a variety of medications. Your penis would not look as it is in the photos if ANY of the medications you have tried had achieved anything of relevance.

This suggests you have not tried the right medication for what you ACTUALLY have. Your suggestion of one of the Balantis conditions is a clear possibility. So, go back to the Doctor - state in clear terms the impact this is all having on your mental state, and that the right treatment needs to be put in place. If you have not yet tried a topical Steroid Ointment yet, suggest that this is something you wish to try, AND ask for a referral to Dermatologist as it sounds like you have had bad-stuff going on for too-long and you need to get it sorted, sooner, rather than later!

Or, if you live near one of the larger City Center Sexual Health Walk-In Center's go along and state you have this that you are really concerned about and that you would like to speak to a duty Dermatologist, or possibly, a Senior (rather than Junior) Urologist. Again, if all the medications you have tried have achieved next to nothing, it is very unlikely to be sexually related (Sexual Health Center's deal with ALL Genital Health issues, if you were not aware!).

In the mean time, one other thing that you can purchase from a Chemist / Supermarket is Desitin, this is commonly used for nappy rash, but one person on a recent thread on here had tried all kinds of medications (prescribed and over the counter) and he found the Desitin was really helpful in treating something similar to this.

PS: very unlikely to be Penile Cancer, in addition, as you have seen two Doctors (again from the bit I did read) NO PROFESSIONAL such as this is going to let you walk away if there was ANY possibility that you had a remote possibility of a cancer, least of all Penile Cancer!

Good Luck .......

• Posted

Hi Wee_Dugie,

Thank You for taking the time to reply to my topic. I will try the Desitin. Furthermore, you believe this to NOT be anything sexually related? I realize that you would be the first one to admit that you are not a doctor, but you certainly seem to have a solid grasp on these issues that we are having. Lamisil does nothing, neither does Nystatin, so I will try the Desitin next. Again, neither of the doctors stated that it could be or that they thought that it could be HSV-2. Stated irritation. So...hopefully it is just a Balanitis strain. Or prostate or what have you. I would be a little bit leary of starting a steroid type of cream with the thinning of the skin issues if used long-term. To reiterate, the rash does have some white skin particles or what resemble them sort-of peeling off of it. Sometimes on good days, it will fade to a pinkish tone but most of the time, it has a shiny coat to it

I appreciate any further thoughts that you might have. I intend to switch laundry detergents to an allergy free or hypoallergenic, but me being uncircumcised, I doubt that will really matter much.

• Posted

Sorry, cannot comment at all on the potentials of this being sexually related!

Just merely to add for other potential readers: the role of a Steroid Cream or Ointment is to keep diseased skin as healthy as possible. As part of this it can 'reduce' scar-tissue - but not to the point where the INFECTED area becomes overly thinned in nature.

Thinning can only occur if the Steroid is applied totally incorrectly - or is actually applied on healthy skin. I use one of the most powerful Steroid ointments, most days and this ensures my infected skin is as healthy and supple as it possibly can be.

I have accidentally applied the Steroid elsewhere on my penis and this has caused thinning to the point where the skin has broken-down and caused bleeding. Since I realised what was going on this has never occurred again and I have used the Steroid for 7 years +.

Again to reiterate, I am unable to read through much of your original post - so if you think there may be a Sexual link for this, go to a Walk-In Sexual Health Service - in fact you could achieve two things together by doing this - ask to speak to a duty Dermatologist if you have one of the Larger Sexual Health Center's near you, or a Urologist if there is no Dermatologist ....

• Posted

i have the same thing its the only thing weird looking on my penis it only gets red throughout the year ive had it 3 years and its not as big a spot as yours bro. i really wanna know what it is but its not a huge concern to me only when its red.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.