Red skin syndrome is healing?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Since i was 12, and now i'm 20, i've been using topical steroids to control my eczema flare ups (usually betamethasone). For years it worked. But last year in January my mother's friend, seeing what's happening, told me that i should stop using corticosteroids as they thin my skin. My mother took it seriously and i stopped using them in February. For 2 months my skin was worse than ever. But in the April, redness, oozing, itching and burning started to fade away quickly. At the end of April 2017, my skin were cured.

About 6 months, i had no problems with my skin and in October, there was a flare up inside my elbow on left arm. I didn't took any topical steroids, but i contacted my mother's friend. She told me that i should only wait and it will go away. 

But it was worse and worse every day. A couple of days it becomes better, and worse again, and the cycle was repeating - but in every cycle my symptoms were less worse than before. 

Before last NYE, flare was so intense so i had to use topical steroids on face and arms. 

Now is February 2017 and i'm still fighting a battle with my skin. 

Can someone who got through this tell me is it healing? I think so, because symptoms are better in every flare up that comes.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nick,Firstly I would take a probiotic daily and keep to this religiously as this helps enormously with skin problems.

I have used pimecrolimus cream which is non steroid and effective and also  childs Farm baby Moisturiser which is very good(from Boots)

Also, I have not tried this personally but I have heard very good things about  Eucrisa (crisaborole)cream which is available on prescription-good luck.

• Posted

If you experience more frequent flare-ups in winter you could consider or ask your dermatologist about phototherapy using narrowband uvb light. This might improve your skin condition and as an added benefit helps your body generate Vit D during the winter months.
  • Posted

Hey nick I'm 16 years old now and I've had eczema since I was 5 years old and I just stopped using steroid creams and all that type of stuff like 3 months ago and I had eczema on my lips, neck, legs, arms, and hands but on my hands I still have some since the skin is thinned out due to the steroid treatments. And what I did to heal my eczema was to only use Vaseline and only shower in the mornings. I found that showering at night makes your pores open up and when you sleep your covers and pillowcase have many irratants that can flare your eczema up.  During the day your pores close up which blocks out many irratants and another thing with showering at night is when you moisturize your skin it makes it easier for you to peel off your skin while scratching at night and that can cause you to bleed and other infection issues. Don't put anything at all on your skin before going to sleep. The next morning brush your teeth first then shower to avoid your skin from drying out if you shower first and then brush your teeth. After you shower pat your skin dry and then get some Vaseline on your fingers and then turn on your faucet and run your fingers with the Vaseline through the water for like 10 seconds. After you've wet the Vaseline rub it in between your hands and only apply it to your hands and lips. And if you have eczema on your arms, legs, neck, or around the eyes don't put anything on that part of the skin just let the eczema around those areas be dry. By letting those areas of eczema dry, the skin tightens which causes the skin to start healing by itself without having to use any products. And if your hands or lips get dry though out the day do the same thing with the Vaseline, so carry around a small thing of Vaseline. Within a week you should start seeing a very big improvement in your skin. I hope you really try this cause I've been battling with eczema for so long like you have and I want us people with eczema to have a life without eczema. Hope it goes well ?🏽

• Posted

If your skin flares up just keep doing this same thing the skin will ease the flaring of the skin by itself.  smile 
  • Posted

hi just wanted to say daughter has been going through steroid withdraws for over a year now. Every Dr we have seen refuses to acknowledge it is steroid withdraws and trys to put her back on steroids. Her pediatrician decided to put her on Dupixent. The one thing that worked is dupixent. within two days of taking it her skin clears up and looks amazing. but after a couple of weeks the symptoms start to reappear and she needs another dose. Dupixent has side effects, but its better than watching my daughter suffer day after day. If anyone else is suffering from RSS Dupixent could help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.