Red spots

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello,

I'm new to this forum, so please correct me if I say anything not allowed. It started with one red spot on my nose, I had it for awhile and then I started to get more and more over the last 7 years. They really only bother me aesthetically, but I'm worried that their might be an underlying cause. Ive been referred to a rheumatologist because my doctor thinks i might have rheumatoid arthritis because of other symptoms I've been having for the last year.I forgot to mention them to my new doctor, it did

't really occur to me that they could be related to anything. autoimmune diseases run on my moms side of the family (type 1 diabetes , arthritis, sarcoidosis, Scleroderma, raynauds ). ive lost 40 lbs since july due to lack of appetite, and early satiety, im 5'5 and now 114 lbs, im 30 years old. I thought they could be telangiectasias. Any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks! image

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

In UK we call them spider veins or thread veins but telangiectasia is the medical term for them. They are not harmful and its mainly women who are bothered about them for cosmetic reasons. They can be removed by a qualified beautician, but the NHS wont remove them.

Often found on acne prone skin as well.

They can be inherited but if there are a lot of large patches they may indicate that something else is wrong.

• Posted

Dont know what happened to my text so will do it again. In UK we call them thread veins or spider veins although the medical name for them is telangiectasia. They are not serious and often bother women more than men because of the cosmetic aspect. They can be removed by a qualified beautician but the NHS wont remove them. They are often found on acne prone skin. it does help to limit them if you wear a high factor suncream on your face.

If they appear in large patches then they can be an indicator that something else is wrong.

• Posted

hi Marina, thanks for the reply ! I was thinking they were caused by the sun and were telangiectasia s. but i also have them on my fingers arms neck and the palm of my hands. i have a referral for a rheumatologist because of other symptoms ive been having, so i was just curious if it was the same thing you would see with a connective tissue disorder.

• Posted

Ah, I thought they were only on your face but as you say they are also on your hands then you may be right in your thinking about Scleroderma. Do mention them when you see your rheumatologist.

• Posted

yes I was considering that, i have a relative with crest and my mom has raynauds and they havnt really diagnosed her with anything yet. its rough trying to get a diagnoses . thanks for your help! i will definitely mention it 😃

• Posted

Do you wear glasses or sunglasses a lot? You can get thread veins from something rubbing against your skin and as it is the top of your nose it looks like something someone who wears glasses a lot would have.

• Posted

hey, thanks for your response! i dont wear glasses but i wear sunglasses sometimes, the one on my nose at the top could potentially be caused by that. thanks !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.