Red Yeast Rice...Anyone?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone taken Red Yeast Rice for cholesterol and had issues? I was put on it after being on Atorvastatin for 2 years. My naturopath said it was "safer." Well, WRONG! So now the Atorvastatin gave me brain fog and memory issues and the RYR gave me awful muscle pain in both arms. No one has been able to tell me if the pain will resolve on it's own. Some days it's so bad i jut want to cry. This forum has given me a bit of hope though. Hopefully at some point I will feel better. I'm only 51 and never had cholesterol over 240 and that was only once. Most of thge time it was only 225. From what I understand, that's not even high.

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'd suggest part of your problem amy be dealing with a Naturopath. There is scant evidence for any of their treatments being much other than the worst form of charlatanism and quackery, it's up there with crystal healing and homeopathy. 

• Posted

Actually Jason, my naturopath has helped me in so many ways that my regular M.D. never could because she isn't trained in such things. And I laugh at your reference to homeopathy. Which, has been around since the beginning of time because there were no doctors back then. You sound like a big pharma rep or M.D. yourself with such a reply. Pharmaceuticals should only be used as a last resort because many times they offer more harm than good with all their side effects. While the Red Yeast Rice was not a good choice, neither are any statin.

• Posted

Homeopathy has been around since 1796. Hardly the beginning of time.

Placebo has been shown time and again to perform at least as well as homeopathy.

I'd also look at the mortality rates and average life expectancy in 1796 (that being when you've identified as the beginning of time) and  those today. https://www.fightaging.org/archives/2003/01/this-wonderful-lengthening-of-lifespan

"In 1796, life expectancy hovered around 24 years. A hundred years later it doubled to 48. In our modern world of air conditioners, hand washing and booster shots, you have a good chance of living 63 years, which is the world average. However, for those fortunate enough to live in a first-world country, lifespan jumps considerably."

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/lifeexpectancies/bulletins/nationallifetablesunitedkingdom/2014to2016

UK average for a child born today is 81.6 years. 

That is not achieved with a bit of water that once had an arnica root near it.

I'm sure your Naturopath has helped you in many ways, mostly in feeling wanted and appreciated for the money you give her. If you want someone to validate your concerns and talk about your feelings I can think of no one better. If you want to be treated for being unwell I'd rather go down the peer reviewed science method if it's all the same to you.

Vague references to "Big Pharma" are no better than conspiracy theories about moon landing fakery, Pharmaceuticals are regulated, tested and reviewed. As newer and better medicines are developed so older ones get replaced, so called "natural remedies" are not subject to the same regulation or checking and should not be afforded any respect in the treatment of illness.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Haha Jason, now I see what I'm dealing with. Ok, let me educate you on homeopathy. Homeopathy is the treatment of natural substances, usually plant based. So in the beginning of time. Yes, Adam and Eve's day, plants were used for healing. They didn't have "big pharma" to help or make them sicker. If you read the Bible you will see that many lives hundreds of years. Why do you think Frankincense and Myrrh were brought to the baby Jesus? Because they had abundant medicinal value. While I believe there is a place for modern medicine, there is a HUGE place for finding natural cures to one's ailments. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Oh and your "peer reviewed" junk?? It's paid for by big pharma. And of course the results will be skewed in the way they want it.

• Edited

Oh Tani, where to start. We may need to find a new word to describe how wrong you are in so many ways.

You seem unaware of what form of charlatanism and quackery you are espousing, it’s not Homoeopathy that’s for sure. Homeopathy was invented in 1796 by Samuel Hahnemann, a German Physician and freemason. It is based on a process of diluting substances in ever diminishing concentrations to the point where none of the original compound can exist in the dilute mix. 1796, as I’m sure you are aware was well after biblical times. Homeopathy is certainly not mentioned in the bible or contemporary records. Whatever snake oil you are using it is not Homeopathy.

I hate to be the one to bring you this news but the Bible is not a scientifically accurate record, Adam and Eve did not exist and even the Pope has accepted that the Big Bang Theory and Evolution are not incompatible with Christian faith. If you are trying to argue Biblical “facts” as your healthcare basis then I’m afraid we won’t be discussing this any further as to even debate the issue suggests there is some legitimacy to your position, which there isn’t.

You can sneer all you like at the scientific method but it provides a verifiable and repeatable process whereas your “make some herbal tea and believe in an invisible friend” method doesn’t.

Don’t bother trying to argue, you are wrong to beyond the point of delusion and your ideas are naïve at best and dangerous at worst. I don’t really mind if you poison yourself but when you start saying stuff like “no statin is a good choice” you stray into areas of endangering others because some other simpleton may believe you.

• Edited

Wow! Ok. Good luck with that. I'm not even sure why you're on this thread. But I'll pray for you. No need to respond. Have a nice day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.