Redness and feeling hot around the knee

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had redness around the knee after a TKR. Also the knee area feels warmer than the other good knee. Currently 3 weeks post op. The X-rays and blood results shows everything is normal so unsure what it is but was given antibiotics for a week to take and also advised that if it spreads then to go back asap. What could this be? Could it be side affects from cocodomel or because of a lot of walking? Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I too am 3 weeks post TKR.   I have the same problem at night but not in the daytime.  Have come to the conclusion that the operatedknee does not like being under the duvet so I now try to keep in uncovered and this helps.  I was concerned about this and had to go for a routine blood test last Monday and got the nurse there to have a look.
    • Posted

Have you tried a very loose tubigrip. You don't want it tight, just as a cover for the skin, it helps keep the sensitivity to a minimum
  • Posted

A certain amt of warmth is the norm. It can least for quite a while.what you have to be concerned about is if it gets really hot, shows any drainage other the little bit around stitches/staples or if you start running any fever at all. After my 1st tkr I started running a fever in less than 36 hrs and turned out to be a global or systemic infection. After my reviision I fell and broke my leg resulting in a plate inserted next to the bone and 8 screws put in to hold it. 8 months later the plate was removed and 28 days to the date I had heat, drainage and was violently I'll. This time is was diagnosed as epi staph. Then I have 2 months infusion of clindamycin. And 900 mg daily orally for 10 months. That quit working and the knee had to be reopened, the prosthesis removed,, another 8 weeks of infusins, a total of 4 months immobilized and t hen the new prosthesis inserted. I was immobilized for another 3 weeks then started rehab. So you can see I have a little history of having a warm / hot knee and just a slightly elevated head is nothing to be concerned about. Con d inue excercising, elevating, ice.....ice....ice drink plenty of water and be very sensible about how much weight you are putting on it at this time. Be sure and stay on your prescribed doseage and schedule of pain meds. Be patient. Don't set yorself up f i r failure by expecting too much too soon
    • Posted

Been through a couple of Drug resistant  infections -- scary and nasty things.
    • Posted

You've certainly been put through some hell, I don't know how you managed to get through it all. The infection rates in hospitals is soaring and people need to be very diligent when it comes to hospital selections. I've been in hospitals that make me shudder at the lack of attention to infection control protocol. My husband was infected from surgery to put a graft in his femoral artery, he ended up with MRSA and it took 3 months in and out of hospitals then finally removing that graft and another 3 months if intravenous antibiotics which I gave to him at home. He was lucky to survive and I will never go back to that hospital. The rate of infections have doubled in the past couple of years and it's really scary to have to be admitted for surgery like a knee replacement. I implore people to check out the infection statistics of their hospital before placing their lives in the hands of a hospital with sloppy infection control. I'm hope you're doing better now. You sure deserve a good break.
    • Posted

I hope everybody reads these posts!  It was my primary search criteria for surgeon and hospital!  Incidence of nosocomal infection, re-admission for post surgical screw ups and infection  -- hard info to get hold of, but worth the effort.  

Any post operative infection  -- even suspected -- should be investigated.  Catch it early, treat it throughly, do the full course of meds, and keep watching it.  Follow the warnings about dental work and the like  (lifetime requirement to do propholactic antibiotics is no joke).  

• Posted

My dentist and surgeon agree with that but over the last few months there have been a large number of posts saying their medical people are saying it just isnt important. Having gone through 2 very serious bouts of staph and a less severe bout I wouldnt let anyone touch me without antibiotics.
    • Posted

My infections are self contained and my body just won't fight them efficiently. Our nephew is a highly respected infectious disease Dr who was one of the leaders in hep c. He says everyone is a carrier but most people have the ability to naturally manage the problem. The small % like me are just in serious trouble. MRSA is one of those that is so serious it's scary. My grandson got cut on a camping trip. He wound up with mrsa and had to have a big hunk of leg cut out. He is in the health care field and watches every little nick and scratch. Its true, infections are Definately more widespread.
    • Posted

You are right on!  It's only NOT important if you don't get one.  An old partner of mine in Texas was not a believer -- his approach led to loss of the TKR leg.

As you know, those bugs like to migrate to the prosthetic area  -- they thrive there because of its isolation from the immune system I would imagine.

Anyhow, like the others, I hope your infections are a thing of the past.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. Sorry to hear you have been through a lot, wishing you all the best.
    • Posted

Agree sound advice. I checked out BHS choices and hospital sites 're success and infection rates against the National Average and got my GO to refer to a specific surgeon.

• Posted

I just had a tkr on the 13th of March,I returned to my ortho on the 31st to get the staples removed. At that time I was informed that according to the xray all was well. Then on the 4th of April I walked into the ER pf the closest Hosp.because of redness.warm swollen,and it had a bacterial infection 7 days in hospital released with vac.pump to heal insition good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.