redness and inflammation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I had cataract surgery on my left eye on December 19th. I began having problems with the drops for my eyes.  An allergic reaction?  I think so.  The inside lower lids were red, my eyes itched in the inside corners.  Went to the doctors and they said was an allergy and to discontinue all meds.  So i did, and still inflammation on the outer membrane.  looks like gel on my eye, and redness.  Feels stiff (if that makes sense).  i will be calling doctor again tomorrow as I dont' know what to do.  Any ideas?  Thank you!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello Ann, are your drops preservative free single use drops?

The preservatives cause a lot of problems.

• Posted

I have no idea, but will certainly ask

• Posted

Hi Ann, I think all our sympathies are with you, the last thing you should be suffereing from is itchy eyes because the last thing you should be doing is rubbing them, and for goodnes sake dont, I know this will be very hard not to do but the advice I was give was not to rub the eyes. All of the people on this site have had problems including myself.  I dont think there are very many who come through this op without some sort of complication and sometimes there is good advice.  Firstly I think the solution should come from either Consultant, GP or the Optician, they can sometimes be a really good help but surely the Consultant in the first instance.  When you spoke to your Doctor surely he/she should have given you something to give you some sort of relief and if not referred you to the surgeon who did the op. Please let us all know how you get on when you go back, do you know they wouldnt let an animal suffer they way they do

Kindest regards, Agnes

• Posted

no other med was given as a relief from my visit last week.  Seems that when I sleep at night is when this begins. The redness and inflammation gets worse.  Also, just so you know, I had my right eye doen on the 12/12 with absolutely no problems.  So not sure what is happening here.  I'm waiting for them to call me back now.  I use the lotemax once a day only because I am afraid it is doing more harm than good.  Will keep you all posted.  Thx!

• Posted

Hi Ann, Thank goodness your right eye is perfect, lets hope they get to the bottom of whats wrong with the left one.  Cant understand whey they wouldnt give you other medication to try and it may have given you relief.  Is the sight good in both eyes and particularly your left eye.  My sight is good in both op eyes but I have a dreadful feeling in them, its a heavy and gritty feeling and oddly enough when I go to bed and close them they feel worse. Im not going back about this because I cant bear all the messing about they do re drops and poking about, would rather just continue with the discomfort in the eyes im thankful that my sight is ok and hope it stays that way, its such a worry.  Please let us know how you got on

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Sorry to learn about your allergic reaction to one of the eye drops after your cataract surgery.

Typically, after a cataract surgery, one uses 4 types of drops; 3 available only by prescription and one over-the-counter. The ones by prescription are: steroid drops, antibiotic drops, and  NSAID drops. The over-the-counter ones are to relieve dry eyes and can be preservative or non-preservative (the preferred) types.

It seems that rather than discontinuing all drops completely, the opthamologist should have changed the types of drops being used. As a similar example, in case of an infection, if one has an alergic reaction to one antibiotic, the solution is to use a different type of antibiotic and not stop using all antibiotics.

At the minimum, until you see a doctor tomorrow and discuss your situation, you should take something like ibuprofen for the inflammation. This may not be the most effective way to reduce the eye inflammation, but will still help reduce that inflammation (just like it does in other parts of the body)

• Posted

Hello and thank you for your reply.  I was given only 3 drops.  The NSAID, Steroid and antibiotic.  After 1 week was able to discontinue one.  It is called Ofloxacin.  Continued with the Diclofenac and Lotemax.  the Diclofenac is the one that stung and they told me that was normal, but it got worse as the days went by.  This is what prompted me to contact them last week.  I had surgery on both eyes and the left is the problemed one (right is fine and was on same meds).  One thing I did notice during the laser part of the surgery is that the pressure from the machine was alot more than on the right eye.  Could that have anything to do with it?  This is when they made the incision then I was brought to another room to have the cataract removed.  I am going to be a first time Grandma this week or the beginning of next and want this matter cleared soon.  I will not make doctor's appointments on the day of her delivery as she asked me and her hubby to be in room with her.  I will not let her down.  Thx so much again.  

• Posted

Hi Again Ann, just read your good news, what a lovey event you have to look forward to and I dont think a sore eye will detract from it but hopefully your upcoming appointment will sort it all out, again please let us know.

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Thanks for the more detailed information about what you have been going through.

However, I still feel that even if you had an allergic reaction to either Diclofenac or Lotenax, discontinuing both and not using an alternative steroid was probably not the right decision. Discontinuing an NSAID like Diclofenac suddenly is not a problem. However, just discontinuing a steroid like Lotenax suddenly can by itself bring on an inflammation of the eye (even if you are not using anything you are allergic to). So, please check on why you were taken off the steroid drops suddenly rather than being given an alternative to Lotemax.

• Posted

My appointment with eye doc is thrusday at 2:15.  We'll see how that goes.  I'll let everyone know. Thank you!!

• Posted

That is great! Hopefully, the eye doctor will come up with a good explanation and a solution for your problem.
  • Posted

You should definitely call your doctor right away. I was told I was allergic to 2 different drops prescribed to me that I had been taking for weeks and I have had some serious problems. Besides stopping those drops, I was prescribed others to conteract the reactions. One of the offending drops had caused some damage to my cornea (It has improved somewhat), so this is not something to wait on. 
  • Posted

HI EVERYONE,  I am not sure how to begin a new post, so I hope you all get this, and it's not just to myself!  I wanted to give you all an update and they are saying it is an allergy to those darned preservatives in the meds.  She gave me samples of eye drops with no preservatives and a med for allergies.  I did ask her why on earth do they even put preservatives into eye drops.  They are OUR EYES. She said because the insurance wants you to use the cheaper ones rather than the good ones.  Less expensive.  My, my, don't you just love 'THE SYSTEM'?  I was very angry.  My eye is slowly feeling better now.  red, but not AS red and no itching. So I think I am finally on the right path.  

• Posted

I had the same here. The drops without preservatives cost more, but now people don't think I'm drunk when they see my eyes. I was also found to be allergic to Durezol. I kept the box and drew a skull and crossbones on it to remind myself to never take that again. 

• Posted

Unbelievable GretaGarbo!  And they wonder why the lawsuits!  This is our EYES!  It really shocked me to learn this.  Thank you for replying.  Looks like my post went through.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.