redness from cellulitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

​Just wondered if any of you find that the redness of the legs comes on during the daytime and inflammation is worse during an evening? As when I wake up, legs are not red now as recent course of antibiotics has clearly done something to clear it, but during the day the redness comes back gradually with defined patchy areas by the evening which are hot to touch and legs feel tingly. Go to bed, and wake up with no redness, and no tingly sensation either which is rather strange. Have just had my 3rd bout of cellulitis since June but should I go back to my Gp again for more antibiotics to make sure it is gone, or just wait and see if it really flares back up again,

​many thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

hi Sarah if your unsure go to docs i get recurring cellulitus  i am on low dose a/bs for life now looks as though there is something going on if getting hot and red  don’t know if you have any other probs like me athletes feet dry skin swollen legs must be kept in order as they dont help   main thing if your not happy docs asp and get him to check
  • Posted

Hi all, well  I have had 4 weeks of antibiotics and several blood tests, the latest bloods taken on Tuesday this week and the crp level is still raised as is the white cell count. So infection is still hanging about although legs remain the same, tingling sensation and pink coloured by the evening after working and on feet for most of the day. I finish the antibiotics tomorrow co-amoxiclav 500/125mg which apparently they give to patients after surgery but expecting it to flare again, am not feeling very positive, just know it has not cleared up, so expecting to do battle for a GP appointment to get more. Wish there was a magic pill you could take and it would go for good!
  • Posted

How r u doing Sara? My situation is same as you, got hot and pain in the afternoon and esp at night and in the morning it’s just fine! I was on antibiotics for 2 days, not sure when it will clear ?
    • Posted

Hi Jenny,

​I am now fine, they had to give me a double dosage of antibiotics to clear the infection in the end, but thankfully at the moment I am doing ok. Knowing the signs of infection, I will go straight back to the GP if it starts again though. I also have an appointment at the hospital in January, as the source of the cellulitis infection appears to be from my big toe nail, so may have to have surgery to remove the nail and I am not looking forward to that! Hope you are feeling better Jenny, just try and rest your legs as much as possible, that certainly helped me when I got home from working an 8 hour shift being on my feet, Keep legs elevated higher than hips if possible x

• Posted

Hi Sarah, happy to know you r doing well and thanks for your reply! I am now admitted to hospital to have IV antibiotics 3 times a day as I have oral antibiotics for 5 days and no improvement at all! I had the IV antibiotics for almost 2 days but still no improvement, still hot and red at night. Not sure if it is cellulitis at all, as there is no obvious wound. Anyway, the doctor said they just try with the antibiotics and see if it works first. If not, may schedule a MRI to see what happened inside! Very frustrating! Btw, how long you take the double dosage of antibiotics before it clears up? Hope your appointment in January goes well!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.