Redo surgery for Nissen vs LINX

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a Lap Nissen done 18 years ago and it slipped after 7 years, leading me to only take antacids, Zantac, etc. since I was allergic to others. Now, it has gotten bad enough (severe gastritis) that I have to have the surgery redone. Am I able to do the LINX rather than the redo, to your knowledge? Also, I have a slight hiatal hernia that was detected, so does that disqualify me for the LINX?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Roy. 

Firstly, if I may, you said your Lap was done 18 years ago and slipped after 7 years. Who allowed you to suffer to the point of severe gastritis for 11 years without a redo much earlier? Or did it come to light much later? 

The redo is something only you can decide - and with your doctor. But to answer your question I believe LINX do accept 2-3cm hiatus hernias (best contact them for the exact criterias though). Though I found someone on a forum who ended up with a 5cm hiatus hernia and still got a LINX implant, giving an account of how they were able to eat afterwards. 

So it seems possible, but best check with Torax Medical for the exact rules as these can change and the forum post was from 2013. 

"In addition to the Linx op I had a 5-6 cm hernia repaired. I suspect that little blighter was the cause of all my troubles so fingers crossed it does not come back. Usually folks with such a large hernia end up with a Nissan Fundoplication but my surgeon agreed to try to avoid that and so far so good. I am also off PPi meds and have not had Gaviscon since the op. Absolutely terrific!! I know the dysphasia is not good but it is self limiting and goes away after 12 weeks which is good enough for me."

https://www.healingwell.com/community/default.aspx?f=45&m=2802841&p=2

I hope this helps. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. My hiatal hernia and issues with the Nissen slip came to light much later, so it was no one's fault. In the meantime, I have consulted with my physician who would like to redo the surgery as it caused a hiatal hernia with the Nissen moving up above the diaphragm area. He plans to fix it by pulling it down and then using cadaver skin to secure it so the Nissen can function properly again. That rules out Linx for this procedure which was discouraged in a case like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.