Reduce losartan 100 mg.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi iam male 64 years old. Ive been on losartan 100 mg for around three years. Ive put on weight get terribe backache tiredness itchy skin. Never had these  before i started tablets.

i ride 12 kms each day and on a diet but no real weight loss.

Recently ive started taking losartan 50 mgs at 9am and 50 mgs at 9pm.

my bp is stable at neither higher or lower than 130/ 74 pulse 97 each day. I take my bp three times a day. 

My question is can i reduce the losartan to 50 mgs a day instead of 100mg a day?

ive heard that Benicar is a similar drug with no weight increase and also one drug called  Dinoval. Thanks. Dave.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I did David, from 100 mg to 50 and then got rid of it all together.. it made me miserable and also gave me my first anxiety attack at age 72..  you have excellent bp for your age... I also found a physician who is kind and knowledgeable , a rarety these days... hope you find a happy ending to the losartan problem...
    • Posted

Hi ann, many thanks for your reply. Iam glad that you are well. Iam sure the weight gain is the losartan. Iam usually a real happy person but since losartan iam tired fed up terrible backache weight gain mood swings its just not me. Even going to 50mgs in the morning then again at night i feel better. I want to just stop the half at night then go on the 50mgs in the day then eventually do as youve done just taper off and stop. Regards. David.
    • Posted

When I was put on losartan I was never given a reason and also noticed a difference when I cut back..  it seemed to do nothing for my bp.. just another drug added to make the doctor think he actually was doing something.. sometimes less is better.. my current physician didn't say a word when I told him I stopped the insanity of taking losartan....By careful though losartan interacts with some other drugs and don't stop suddenly.. best to talk with your pharmacist

• Posted

Many thanks Ann. Will let you know how i get on. Take care. David.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.