reduce OxyContin

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking OxyContin for many years current dose 360 per day slow release, I was taking 860mg of MST slow before this the pain clinic would like me to reduce at his down I have tried in the past bust not succeeding, the pain clinic want to put me on  sufentanil but that's used for full blow Anastasia feeling very confused and scared help

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes, sufentanil is very strong, but as with all opiods (or drugs in general) it is the dose that makes the poison. 

All opioid strengths are measured in 'morphine equivalent doses' (MED) - the dose of morphine that would lead to the same analgesic effects, but you can switch between any of here: http://clincalc.com/opioids. There is quite a bit of evidence showing that when taking one opioid for a long period of time, switching opioids, even to a lower MED, can help with pain management and with the build up of tolerance (called 'cross tolerance' usually about 25%).

So using the calculator with a 360 per day oxy, 25% cross tolerance and a switch to sufentanil, you should NOT take more than 0.22 mg/day (0.29 without the cross tolerance assumption). Not sure how low it comes, but you may feel better with a switch to a lower equivalent dose of something else than continuing(?)

Maybe even less would work? I was just reduced 25% morphine all at once, and 9 years, and now another 10% 3 weeks later (he wanted another 25). I wish I was switched to 25% less of something else instead. I think that may be a better method of tapering. 

Sometimes the war in drugs feels like a war of those of us in pain. 

Don't be afraid, you can do it, but don't get them to make you do anything you don't want to or aren't ready for. Remind them (or yourself) that they are your healthcare provider, but you are the one that needs to live in that body : )

Take care and let us know how it goes

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, nice to know I'm not alone in this feels like it sometimes, I've been taking these drugs for the past 24 yrs now lots of spinal surgery too, yippee! Funny how things change, not so many years ago I was told by pain clinic that there was no way I'd become addicted to the opiates that the body uses them in a different way when taking them for pain, didn't ever believe this but you just want the pain to stop, I've managed to stop taking the Ketamine but reducing anything else makes more pain so I'm worried about changing plus every time I change I feel like a zombie for a few weeks, but hey enough moaning thanks again

• Posted

If he wants to quit cold turkey. Call this number. They helped me through a private natural remedy solutions and its a hundred percent effective. Call 6475370543. Its a small price to pay to get your life back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.