Reduced appetite on citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

My appetite is minimal during the day in fact I only eat as I know I need to but just don't feel like it. However after 6-7pm I can eat and enjoy most things!! Very frustrating. Does anyone else feel like this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Phoebepip, citalopram affects mood, sleep, appetite :- ssri's can affect all sorts of things such as libido and aggression,

so unfortunately for some people they might find they eat more, or less, or sleep more, or less,  ... etc.

you didn't mention what dose you are on and how long you have been on citalopram?  if it has not been very long, you may find that your appetite returns.       personally here i have reduced appetite along with upset stomach, but have not been on citalopram long (currently four weeks at 20mg), and have found with myself in the past, i always lose appetite when starting a new med, but it comes back again once i have adjusted (few weeks to a month or so)

• Posted

Hi will be 2 weeks tomorrow have been on citalopram was previously on fluoxetine but had horrible side effects. Am on 20mg a day. Hoping these will suit me better. However am having slight dizzy spells, seeing doc today for review on citalopram
    • Posted

hey it sounds like we are at exactly the same stage; i have been taking 20mg of citalopram for a few weeks also (in general though i have been on and off antidepressants for around 10 years now).  at the moment just like you i dont have any appetite in the daytime but i get hungry later in the day so eat then.  the worst part for me at the moment is bad morning anxiety, and not feeling good in the daytime.   i saw my doctor today and she said that unfortunately it takes time, could take a month or two so just need to keep going.  i hope you get on ok at the doctors, interested to hear how that goes
    • Posted

Hi been to docs she said I appeared better since last appointment. I can't see it!! I just want to want to get up in the morning!! Even putting my alarm on this morning didn't work. Luckily it was an hour before appointment. Have been going out in car the last two days, felt good as get really down being at home all the time. How are you today?

• Posted

hey Pheobe not a great day today (a bit low and anxious, but i suppose overall not a total disaster)  -- but now the day has passed and it's evening, i'm feeling a little better. i know what you mean about not wanting to be in the house all day, where we can end up just thinking about things too much.  nice to hear you are getting out  smile

i work 4 evenings a week from 8pm until midnight so better get off to work now,  hope u have a nice evening!

• Posted

It's good that you can go out to work. I am not working at the moment but don't feel I could do it anyway. Hope you have a good shift!

• Posted

thanks Phoebe, i wont deny it's quite a challenge at the moment unfortunately.  thank god i'm working in the evening when i tend to feel better.

uh oh getting late better dash smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.