Reduced kidney function after sepsis.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I have joined here for some much needed advice please!

I am a 27 year old female , in August 2016 I was rushed to hospital with sepsis and was very poorly ! It is unknown how I got sepsis , although whilst being treated in hospital I has severe left sided kidney pain and could barely move! I was told I had a kidney injury.

When I left hospital my GFR and creatinine were all in range. GFR over 90. The back pain went off after 2 weeks of being discharged from hospital.

November or 2016 I was still having checkups with dr and I complained of the back pain I experienced in hospital returning but not a sharp pain this time just a dull ache. He did some blood tests and it came back my gfr was 60 & creatinine 101.

This blood test was repeated 4 weeks later (I was advised to drink lots of water ) my results this time was that my gfr was 59 and creatinine 103. I had 2 water infections after these tests and my back pain continued over Xmas and new year. I didn't drink any alcohol over the Xmas period.

I have recently had another blood test (January 2017 ) my GFR is now 56 and my creatine is 108.

I still have the back pain and blood in my urine when dipped by dr and now my periods have become erratic with regular spotting through out my cycle ! I have been referred to the urologist as urgent and will be seeing him on Monday (20th Feb)

I would like to know if anyone has had the same experience and if I should be worried ? I am a healthy 27 year old with a young child I work in the hospital and am able to access my results so I have seen that my gfr was not low prior to sepsis.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have been to see the urologist today and he is sending me for a CT scan , he put it down as urgent so I'm hoping it won't be too long , I also had another blood test today to check my function & will be seeing him again when I have had my CT scan and he has the results of scan and bloods.

I'm not feeling very positive as he didn't reassure me or say not to worry and my GFR has been low since sept and has dropped not rised which I hoped it would of. Does this procedure seem the norm ? Ie CT scan ? Iv already had an ultrasound.

• Posted

The CT Scan of abdomen is normal to check out organs and any blockage, malignancy, etc. that maybe causing low GFR.
    • Posted

Hi,

I wouldn't worry about the CT scan business, the have done an ultra sound which doesn't always show the issue, now they are doing the CT to see if that shows anything.  These two are the less invasive so if they can find out what is wrong with this then all the better.  Have that scan and don't worry about anything else until you have had this and had the results of the CT and also your latest bloods etc then take it from there.  It is easy to worry yourself silly thinking to far ahead, I am a forward thinker and like to know what if its this what will you do and what if its that, but just try not to worry and have these tests then you can see what is what and re evaluate things.  Good luck with your scan x

• Posted

Thank you for your kind words , I'm such a worrier and stress my self out trying to predict what's going to happen ! Just fed up now as feels like this has been going on so long and still don't have an answer ! Hate being in limbo !! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.