reducing dosage

Posted , 4 users are following.

today I spoke to my doctor about the side effects I'm experiencing lowering my dose from 40 to 20 which are feeling of not been all there vivid vision nausea and tiredness made me feel better when I heared the words YES these are common side effect as I was beginning to think there was something else wrong with me he's told me they will subside so 6 day of feeling like this it's only going to get better fingers crossed I have to stay on 20s till new year then he's lowering me to 10mg woooooop onwards and upwards just hope I don't crash as I want off these Meds so bad xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I personally think it should be done in 5mg increments but if you are okay with the 10 at a time, I guess you should give it a,go
  • Posted

Hi

Keep going with lowering the dose. Going down in 20mg is a large drop though? I do think a 10mg drop is more sensible. If you rush coming off citalopram it will make you feel terrible. It has taken me from about April to come of 40mg and I have terrible withdrawal.i even went down to 5mg and then to zero. With hindsight I wish I had done it down to 2.5mg . However, the head zaps are now lessening but yes I agree a foggy brain and tiredness are common symptoms.

Make sure you get to bed early, rest when u can , drink plenty and try and eat well.

Most importantly be kind to yourself .

Sarah

• Posted

Sarah, 

I was wondering why you stopped citalopram, I've been thinking of doing it as I still get blips and I would like to feel normal again.

• Posted

I don't have panic attacks anymore or if when I do I understand them I'm no longer scared of having them and I've learnt to live with anxiety these tablets just make me feel crappy n I've had enough x

• Posted

They weren't doing anything for me. . In fact my psychiatrist thinks they were makings worse with the extra serotonin from the tablets making my mind race more etc. I had a complete breakdown in march. Although am not sure now as the anxiety is very high at the moment. I just have to get through this withdrawal phase and then if I'm still having anxiety attacks re assess. That's his plan.i am also 47 so am prime peri menopause and so it all cud be hormones related. So he wants me drug free to reasses and to also start Cbt. But he's not a single mum to 2 boys with no family for 200 miles. I've just told work I'm not going in for 2 weeks as that is one less pressure. As I'm not sleeping, I can get the boys off to school then I have til 3pm to turn myself round to present a happy mum at the school gate. It's hard anxiety and depression is awful and I don't even know what I am anxious about.

• Posted

awww bless you hun my anxiety was so bad at one point it's an awful thing to suffer from there's not enough support out there that's why I like this forum as it's real life people suffering in same situations and I find that helps so much I have had bad withdrawals the past week and am praying they get better as I don't want to go back up a dosage I just sleep when I can and try and relax for 7 years all I do is sleep never feel rested but since the 6th of Sept I take the kids to school and force myself to stay awake now and sleep like a baby on the night I'm just hanging in there I hope u get what u want on your journey be strong were not alone x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.