Reducing from 40mg

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all after seeing my GP today and explaining all the emotions etc I have been going through over the past month, especially very vivid dreams 2 - 3 times a night, some of them felt very real, i have even woke up fighting an imaginary person. She decided I should reduce my dose from 40 to 20.I'd been on 40 for 7 weeks. I asked is that ok doing it that quick she said shouldn't be a problem. I have read a lot of posts on here from people reducing their dosage and getting bad side effects. I do not want these as I still get suicidal thoughts and self harm which I haven't done for several weeks now and still get very emotional. I have enough pills to take 30mg for a week then will have to change to 20. I know everyone is different but will this help doing it that way. I suppose if its get too bad I go back to my GP, she wants to see in 3 weeks to see how I;m getting on anyway. I don't think i could cope with any more severe emotions I think it could eventually drive me over the edge. Any opinions please, thanks everyone.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tina

Mmmm personally I'd say reduce it very gradually, as even people taking only 20mg are advised not to suddenly stop dose and to wean off it.  You've been on 40mg for 7 weeks - if it had been 2 weeks I'd say no problem, but 7 I'm not sure.  Not sure how it works from 40mg to 20mg as of course you're still keeping the medication in your system.

Maybe to be on the safe side, reduce it to 30mg and see how you feel, or even 35mg for a week or so, then reduce it further after that.  You can't go wrong with doing it slow.

xx

• Posted

Hi Katecogs

I am only allowed a weeks supply at a time. I collected my last week of 40mg today thats why I thought taking 30 for this week would help, but I will only receive a weeks supply of 20 next week. She has no intention of me coming off them yet so I will remain on 20 I assume for quite a while longer. Hopefully it will stop these awful dreams as she thinks upping the dose might of caused these plus all the weird sensations in my head and continuous headaches. Plus my concentration has got worse. xx

• Posted

Oh yes I forgot you only have a week at a time.  Mind you, when I decided to reduce my 20mg to 10mg myself, I just cut the tablets up.  My months supply then used to last me 2 months :-)

Yes sometimes too high a dose can cause bad dreams in some people.  Hopefully Lessing to dose will remedy all the unpleasantness.

K xx

• Posted

Hello Tina I also am reducing from 40 to 20. But I have been on 40 for over a year  it's only been a couple of days so haven't noticed anything yet. I always talk to my pharmacist about any meds  instead of doc.  My pharmacist if I notice any symptoms just take another half a  pill or  do 40 one day 20 the next for little while . I'm actually weening myself off completely but that will take a few months. Everyone is different though so it will be hard to tell what any of us will go through. I wish you the best I hope it works out for you.
    • Posted

Hi teal I haven't really talked to the pharmacist, neverthought of that but I'm not a good one for talking, I am getting better cos I have too or I would be dead by now. I just hope i don't end up back where I was as i am still feel quite unstable. I hope you get on ok reducing your dose, being on 40mg for over a year is quite a while so surely it would take a while for your body to adjust? Not experienced any of these emotions or fears before I find it all quite frightening. I have found the people on here so friendly and helpful though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.