reducing pred, anxiety or adrenalin rushes due to reducing ?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am reducing 81/2 one day, 8 the next and am experiencing what feels like adrenalin rushes:   faster heartbeat, trembling, pins and needles, nausea, churning stomach, dizziness etc.   has anyone else had this problem.    It is like an extreme anxiety and very frightening.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, I'm new to the site.  I'm reducing pred too.  Beginning to see a distinct withdrawal pattern each time.  But this last week it's been worse going from 7 down. I too got all the symptoms of tension, anxiety, headaches, restless legs at night, some aches in legs and feet in the day, generally easily exhausted and unwell.  I think the pattern of withdrawal every time lasts just over a week, then it all settles, symptoms disappear again and feel goo, til the next withdrawal.  I find the northern clinic reducing method really helpful.   But emotionally, no one really understands how this steroid can make people feel extreme low mood and edginess.  

Someone already suggested in this thread, that the withdrawal symptoms are stronger at this stage due to our adrenals beginning to wake up again at this lower steroid level.  It makes sense.  Good luck to everyone on their journey. I'm finding it really helpful hearing all your experiences. 

• Posted

I have just looked in my diary to see how I was when I reduced to this   level after my last flare.  I had exactly the same symptoms!   Although I seem to be more affected by dizziness this time.   Its good to know our adrenals are beginning to kick in, althoigh I would prefer them to show it in a more gentle way !   Do you also get this horrible dizziness and wooziness in the head ?  

• Posted

Had dizziness, but not wooziness, had a blood test this morning for gout of all things, and i had a test regarding my muscles, the hospital sent my doctor a letter to say it was high, sh had that done as well today to see if it had risen, so we shall see.
  • Posted

P.s.   Forgot to say, prednisolone has given me back my life.  I'm so grateful! 
  • Posted

I'm new to the game and on my first reduction and it's like my symproms are like the first time on prednisone. The only difference is my anger or being moody was not as drastic. However edgy, anxious, trembling were all there. They are simmering down and i chaulked it up to this is what will happen each time i reduce until i stabilize.

Glad to know we are all feeling this and i to say its prednisone withdrawal.

• Posted

When I first took pred 14 months ago, at 20 mg, I had the most frightening anxiety and restlessness.  I became very impatient with everyone and everything.   I find I am much more critical about everything as well.  But I usually manage to keep it to myself, fortunately !!   I cant wait for the day that I regain my normal feelings.
  • Posted

Yes, this happens to me when I take new dose one day and the old dose the next and so on...with the reduction methods suggested. Have learned I need to drop by .5 mg and stay steady at that dose instead of going back up and then down again. I am very sensitive to prednisone. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.