Reducing pred: dead slow and nearly stop method

Posted , 122 users are following.

Copied from Eileen's post in another discussion.

A group of us worked out reduction schemes individually that have allowed us to reduce far further than ever before but they are all basically the same - and they were based on a scheme a Swedish gentleman worked out when he simply couldn't get below 3mg without pain. Img at that level is 33%, 1/2mg is 17% - way above the 10% that has been recommended for years. So he used table to see the daily doses and took the new dose on one day, old dose for a few days and then proceeded by repeating that and then reducing the number of days of old dose - until he got to everyday new dose. It worked, he got off pred and has been off pred for at least 3 years (it could be longer). Something similar to mine is being tried by a consultant rheumatologist in the north of England and he too finds it works for every single patient he has given it to. As it did for several ladies beforehand.

My reductions are VERY slow. I use the following pattern to reduce each 1mg:

1 day new dose, 6 days old dose

1 day new dose, 5 days old dose

1 day new dose, 4 days old dose

1 day new dose, 3 days old dose

1 day new dose, 2 days old dose

1 day new dose, 1 day old dose

1 day old dose, 2 days new dose

1 day old dose, 3 days new dose

1 day old dose, 4 days new dose

1 day old dose, 5 days new dose

1 day old dose, 6 days new dose

By that stage if I feel OK I feel safe to go all new dose. I suppose you might be OK starting and stopping at "1 day new, 4 days old" but I was terribly sensitive to steroid withdrawal pain so I err on the safe side. Once you get to the "everyday new dose" - if you feel OK you can start on the next reduction, no real need to spend a month at the new dose.

This avoids steroid withdrawal pain - which is so similar to PMR pain that you often can't tell which is which and some of us suspect that many flares are NOT the PMR returning but problems with steroid withdrawal. Using a scheme like this also means you can stop immediately if you have any problems - you might be fine at one day old dose, 2 days new (lower) dose but not at a 3 day gap - but you have dropped your dose a lot and that is the idea. It also isn't as slow as you would think - you can reduce at a rate of about 1mg/month on a continual basis.

The Bristol group start new patients with PMR with 6 weeks 15mg, 6 weeks at 12.5mg and then a year at 10mg before continuing the reduction and that achieves a far lower rate of flare (20% instead of 60%) and I suspect their flares then come below 10mg as they then do the 1mg at a time reduction. Just below 10mg is a common dose for people to get stuck at - and I (and others) believe it is because even 10% drops are too much for many patients. These patients are then labelled as "steroid resistant" or told they need methotrexate to help them reduce but we have seen this slow reduction work for those patients too. We believe that methotrexate (MTX) works for patients who have late onset rheumatoid arthritis (LORA) or LORA and PMR together. Very few patients get off pred altogether when taking the MTX - those who do are probably the mis-diagnosed LORA patients - or another arthritis that responds to MTX."

Further comment from Eileen in original discussion:

Can I add a codicil to the very slow reduction plan in the above post:

When you are at doses below 5mg it is a good idea to rest at each new dose for a month at least before trying the next reduction. At this point you risk overshooting the dose that is controlling the inflammation so waiting a short time to see if symptoms reappear is helpful. If you just continue there is a possibility that you get to very slightly below the "right dose" and inflammation will start to reappear very slowly. The blood tests will lag even further behind the dose reduction - there must be enough inflammation to increases the proteins being measured for the blood tests to rise.

Someone has asked this question:

"I'm at 7mg going down to 6mg, and I'm at the point where I'm starting to shift from more 6mg than 7mg, but I can tell the pain is returning. So...do I jump up big to say 10mg, or try 7mg or 8mg? I hate the very idea of going up at all, but it is what it is."

My reply was:

No - you go back to the last dose that worked well immediately and stop the reduction. This isn't a "flare", this is your body telling you that you have got to the dose you are looking for: the LOWEST DOSE THAT MANAGES THE SYMPTOMS. It doesn't mean you won't get lower, it just means not yet. However slowly you reduce, whatever scheme you use, you will not get below that dose without a return of symptoms because of left-over inflammation that hasn't been removed by the amount of pred you took. It is if you ignore these warnings that you will allow a build-up of the inflammation to the stage where you will have a flare on your hands.

To comment on something someone else said - you have differentiated between steroid withdrawal and a return of symptoms by using DSNS. If you were going to suffer with steroid withdrawal you will notice it the first day you use the new lower dose. That is the idea of DSNS - you go back to the dose your body is happy at for a few days and then show the new dose to your body again. For me it usually takes about 3 times for my body to accept the new lower dose and stop complaining.

37 likes, 145 replies

145 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for your post, it was very insightful. Do you have any experience taking Methotrexate or Azathioprine with Prednisone? I would appreciarte hearing about it if you have taken either of those. Thank you!
  • Posted

Hello

​Ive been on prednisolone for 4 years now Im down to 5mg but struggling to get lower. Am I right in thinking the theory is to do the slow method to 41/2 mg then stay on this a month and then start again if ok. Could do with some advice.

• Posted

When you say you are struggling does that mean you are in pain? If so,  has that been just recently? Did it follow your latest reduction?

You are down to a low dose and a stage that has given many of us trouble. I stayed there for three months as directed by GP and only tried to get lower if I was completely comfortable.

Also it is often recommended that you do not reduce by more than 10% so that means cutting your pills ( as long as they are not the coated ones ). Alternatively you can reduce in tiny steps by perhaps reducing to the next level on alternate days or spacing the reductions even less frequently.... as one day a week then the lower dose twice a week and so on. 

You may not find this necessary but what is essential is not to reduce while in pain because you'll only find yourself back on a higher dose.

It took me five years but I did get there and have been symptom free for more than three years. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Emis I am going to try reducing but am starting from 25mg. Every time I try to reduce to 20mg the pain comes back. Today I got some 1mg tablets so hope to start the slow reduction process. It is going to take a long time but at the moment I am not getting away from 25 anyway. Are many people starting from such a high dose? It sounds impossible to get down under 10mg. It would be good to hear if anyone starting a 1mg reduction from 25 did get down to a very small dose. 
    • Posted

I began at 20MG and reduced 2.5MG per month. (For example, 17.5MG second month, 15MG third month, 12.5MG fourth month, 10MG fifth month - January 2017).

February 2017 I will take 9MG, March 2017 I will take 8MG. Doc prescribes 5MG pills and 1MG pills. So February I take one 5MG and four 2MG tablets daily. So far no flares. I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop though.

• Posted

Have been on a steady reduction rate from15mg of prednisolone from last March until two weeks ago, mid Jan./17 I had been on 1 mg for the last month, then I was taken off steroids. Within five or six days my shoulders stiffened up again, I am back on 2 mg of steroid and do not feel as good as I was on 1mg. Maybe a maintenance dose of 1 mg would have been better. I advise caution to anyone coming off 1mg
    • Posted

You would be extremely lucky if you are off within a year?   Ten months from 15 mg to zero is very fast!   I'm male and started, as a very active 74 year old some 2.5 years ago, at 30 mg and have only just reached zero. I'm considered a fortunate one.

• Posted

I had sever PMR from July 2010 until May 2013. Almost three years. For the most part during those three years the symptoms were gone or negligible. Below is the Predisone schedule I was put on:

PMR Key Dates

07/9/11   –  Severe pain in hamstrings, shoulders and hips

11/8/11 -    Diagnosed with PMR  - Prednisone

01/29/11 -  After 3 weeks on 7.5 MG pain started returning

03/01/11 -  Went to 10 MG

05/20/11 -  Went to  9 MG

06.20.11 -  Went to  8 MG

07/10/11 -  Went to  7 MG

08/04/11 -  Went to  6 MG

09/24/11 -  Went to  5 MG

10/24/11 -  Went to  4 MG

01/24/12 -   Went to 3 MG

3/18/12  -    Went to 2.5 MG

9/12/12  -    Went to 2.0 MG

2/26/13 -     Went to 1.5 MG

3/23/13 -      Went to 1.0 MG

5/2/13 -        Went to  .5 MG

5/18/13-        Went to Zero

I was free of PMR symptons until 11/2016. It has returned as bad as it was in 2010.

I am back on Presdnisone

• Posted

Really useful reading Eileen.  Many thanks, I'll take your advice and suggest/discuss with my doctor.  It's clear that there are many experienced PMR patients out there who know and understand more than the doctors. smile

• Posted

Hi Emis. I am about to try your really slow reduction method. I am on 15mg and tried to reduce 1mg a week to get to 10mg and it did not work. Is it ok to start this process at 15mg or should I still be trying to get lower quicker? 
  • Posted

Great answer!

I have experienced exactly what you say.

What looks like a flare up it is not,

Thank you Emis Moderator for the advice!

iellen

• Posted

I have been on Prednisolone since 2007 since my GP diagnosed my aching legs and arms due to PMR. Initially on 15mg dose the pains disappeared quickly  and after a month I was down to 10mg. After 12 months this was deduced to 7.5 then after a year to 5mg. I have been trying to get the dose down since then. In September last year I was on 4mg and appart from a little acid reflux I was in no serious discomfort with minor stiffness. This year I have been making more effort to reduce my dependance on Prednisolone, and reduced to 3mg. I had a bone scan and was diagnosed with Osteopenea, my GP put me on Adcal vitamin D3 and calcium. I reduced Prednisolone to 2mg but the PMR  symptoms came back with a vengence. I have had severe body stiffness in legs and upper arms and hands, and been feeling very weak but have tried to do as much exercise as possible walking mainly.  The stiffness in back arms and legs is worse first thing in the morning for an hour or two. Taking Paracetamol helps to aleviate the pains. I am reluctant to go back on a higher dose of Prednisolone but may have to go up to 4mg. I am seeing my GP next week to discuss.  
    • Posted

If you were comfortable on 3mgs. I think I'd stay there or even, if necessary, increase up to 5 to have decent quality of life. Lots of us have found 5 a bit of a sticking point and several are happy to stay there for life if necessary.. Ten years may feel like a life sentence especially if, like me, you are not keen on drugs but so is the pain of PMR a life sentence, isn't it?

Perhaps your GP may have his/her reasons for wanting you to continue reducing but you are already on a low dose so they'd have to be convincing.

You'll get plenty more input from others, I'm sure.

Please let us know how you get on and best of luck.

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I am fortunate I have a sympathetic GP who has already said I may need to remain on a low dose of steride. The main concern comes from the female doctors concerned about osteoperosis and kidney damage. However I am now taking the Adcal tbs which should be beneficial to the bones. Appart from the stiffness I feel OK and at 77yrs that cant be bad.

• Posted

I've only just read your reply, must have slipped throught the net.

Glad you're happy with your GP as I was with mine. They do worry about the bone thinning with age and steroids, I know. I was not able to take the bisphosphonate  Alendronic Acid and just had calceos but when I had a total hip replacement four years ago aged 81 the surgeon said that I had "amazing bone density for my age" so obviously bone problems are not inevitable.

Also, I have a cyst on one kidney which is monitored twice a year. This is of at least four years standing and all normal so far. Hope that is encouraging and that all goes well for you.

• Posted

Hello Betty,

Good to hear that at 81 your bone density is good. I am alternating 3mg and 4mg Predisone daily. I still have stiffness in upper arm and back of my legs first thing in the morning, but carry on regardless and it usually eases up by late morning. Best regards David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.