Reducing Pred yet again.

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have gradually, using the slow method reduced to 4mg, which is great. Last time I reduced I had a lot of pain, and stiffness, so had to go back up from 2mg to 15mg. However this time at 4mg although I am stiff it is only between my hips and knees, and I have no pain. All other areas are ok without any stiffness or pain. My knees feel what I can only describe as tight as if I have got something tied around them, and this makes it difficult getting in and out of the bath-not keen on showers! I did go up to 10mg for two days, which did help with the stiffness, and then came back to 4mg. Thought I would stay at this level for some time to see if it settles down, but not sure. Just had a bone scan as well, which with my non-medical background looks as good if not better than a year ago. I see my Rheumy in two weeks time, so I will see what she thinks.

Regards to all who suffer, Rosemary.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From what you said about stiffness and that it helped when you went to 10mg, I got impression that you are below your proper maintenance dose. If I were you I would go up to previous level that felt OK and the symptoms were under control. There is no point trying to reduce relentlessly to zero, it only ends in flare. From a quick look at your profile, it seems that you started posting about 2 years ago. As we all know PMR treatment on the average is about 5.9 years, so no need to rush with reduction. Quality of life and proper symptom management is much more important then trying to reduce quickly.

• Posted

Sounds fairly good - but also that you are on the verge so I wouldn't be keen to go lower just yet. Give those knees a good chance to show whether the 4mg is enough or whether you need a bit more. Accepting a bit of stiffness is OK if it stays at that level - let it increase and you may have to go back to 15mg again and all that perceived benefit of being at 4mg instead of 5mg will have gone in a couple of weeks. And there is always the risk when you get into a yoyo pattern that it will become harder and harder to reduce again.

• Posted

Thanks for your replies-very helpful. Coming down this time I started using one tablet a day of Tumeric and Honey, which helps with auto immune problems, so I believe this is why I don't have any pain this time only stiffness. Has anyone else tried this and felt any benefit? Regards Rosemary.

• Posted

Hard to know if it's PMR or perhaps a result of not being as fit as perhaps once you were. If you do decide to increase the pred try not to do it by more than the maximum 5 mg recommended to deal with a flare. Or as Nick suggests to the level which last worked. It makes it much harder to reduce again if you keep going back to a starting level. When you do find that sweet dose, don't be afraid to stay there for a while, occasionally attempting a very tiny taper, until one day you find it works. Better to hang around 5 or so for a few months rather than trying to be at 4 and having to increase to 9 or more because it wasn't enough.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.