Reducing Prednisone for required surgery.

Posted , 16 users are following.

I ruptured my R. hand little finger tendon, over the ulna bone which requires surgery to repair.  My surgeon doesn't mind that I'm auto-immune with PMR as he said he's done many hand surgeries with people with these diseases.  He just doesn't like the dosage of Pred because it slows healing healing and possibly leaves me open to infection.  ( I don't get the infection part as they will be bandaging and casting frequently to watch for it) So I've started a reduction from 10mg, by the method here.  I'm down to 9mg as of today. (May 18, 2018).

Doc wants me to reduce Pred faster than the 1mg per "month".  I'm reluctant because I'm not sure I'm PMR symptom free. 

It's been about a year and half since diagnosed.  I really want to get off the Pred, as the side effects are driving me "crazy".  Weight gain, hair loss, sensitive skin (if i bump or scrap I get small hemorrhages under the skin) all sorts of side effects.  I am so done with taking Prednisone anyway.

If anyone has reduced their dosage faster, what schedule did you use?

Has anyone had surgery on Pred?  At what milligram was acceptable to your surgeon? Were there complications due to the Pred dosage?

Thank you in advance for your responses!  <3

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Many people have reduced their dose faster - but they all had the same result: a return of the PMR symptoms.

PMR is not a one-off illness for which you take a dose of pred and then reduce to get off it. It is a chronic autoimmune vasculitis which has a median duration of 5.9 years and as long as the disease is active you will need some pred to manage the inflammation that causes the symptoms. You reduce slowly to identify the lowest dose that manages the inflammation as well as the starting dose did. 

Everyone wants to get off the pred - but when they realise the alternative is to return to the state they were in BEFORE the pred, they learn to make friends with steroids. I have had PMR for 14 years, I have been on pred for the last nearly 9 years. Nothing would persuade me to go back to that state. I have had awful side effects with one form of steroid - but they went when I was switched to another and changed my diet to low carb - that helps with inflammation and with weight management.

You are also at a dose where your adrenal function will have to take up the change in steroid dose - you need about 8mg of pred to replace the cortisol your body makes naturally. As you reduce below there your body has to make up the difference - and it takes a bit of time, it doesn't always happen immediately. This is particularly important in response to stress and an operation represents stress.

I think you need to discuss it with your surgeon and possibly get another opinion.

• Posted

Thank you Eileen for taking the time to respond!  I'm copying all the posts for my regular Dr and the Surgeon.

marla

P.S.  I do have another question.  One person, Eddylynn, said her doc had her reduce from 8mg to 0 in a week. (Ekk!)  Other than a relapse, and increased pain, what else happens?  How does the body compensate for all-of-a-sudden being stripped of the steroid?  This sounds really drastic, and scary.  Would a drop from 9mg. to 5mg cause severe repercussions?

Thank you in advance!

• Posted

Don't remember that - or is that the person who is being switched to hydrocortisone for adrenal function problems? You could not drop from 8 to 0 in a week if you had been on pred for more than a couple of weeks without risking serious problems. There must be s good reason - and replacement steroid of some sort.

When you have been on pred for a long time (more than a few months even at 10mg or so) then the adrenal glands stop producing the body's natural steroid, cortisol, which is essential to life. The steroid you are taking replaces it so it isn't a great problem except perhaps if you have trauma, infection or illness and then often the steroid dose is raised to cover. You must then taper the dose slowly, over at least a couple of months to allow the body to take over again. A sudden stop like that can be dangerous.

• Posted

I’ve been on pred for nearly 12 years   Because of continued bleeding I was reduced from 8 to 0 in 10 days. Totally off for a month. 3 weeks of pain.    Neither orthopaedic surgeon or plastic surgeon wanted me on pred until they could see healing.  Started back at 13    I am now having test to see if adrenals are working  but getting along fine on 6 mg pred. 
    • Posted

Did they give you anything to replace adrenal function in that time? 
  • Posted

Marla, I am one of those person who followed their Rheumy advise and was rushing to get off Prednisone. I started on 20 mg and was feeling good after about 4 weeks. Rush down to 7 mg had a very bad flare, ended up in a wheelchair. It took 30 mg of Prednisone to get any relief, still tapering, but now slowly and PMR pain free. Take your time you will be better off in the long run. Good luck! ☺️
    • Posted

Thank you Michdonn for taking the time to respond!  I'm copying them all for my regular Dr and the Surgeon.

marla

• Posted

Last year I had right knee replacement on 6 mgs and was encouraged to not reduce until the surgery healed.  Three months before  a knee  operation, my surgeon gave me a cortizone shot in the soon to be repaired knee and also one for the bursitis in my left hip.  I was on 6 mgs for over a year and am currently on 7 mgs because of a slight flare when trying to reduce to 5 1/2 ms.   After the operation, perusing the knee forum has led me to believe being on prednsone helped me have less pain.

I also had teeth pulled and capped on 6  mgs Pred, before the knee replacement.

• Posted

Thank you Peggy for taking the time to respond!  I'm copying them all for my regular Dr and the Surgeon.

marla

• Posted

Hi Marla, I had hand surgery to free nerves and tendons whilst on 25 mgs of prednisone, surgery done and sent home straight away to reduce infection risk

6 months later whilst on 19mgs I had the first of 3 operations for cancer each 2 months apart. No mention of reduction of prednisone. In fact from memories I received injections of the drug to reduce swelling. In each case I was discharged from hospital within 48 hours to reduce the risk of infection.

​None of the surgeons requested reductions but did load me up with a good dose of antibiotics intravenously before discharge.

No problems.

​Good luck, hope you have a positive outcome.

• Posted

Thank you Robin for taking the time to respond!  I'm copying them all for my regular Dr and the Surgeon.

marla

• Posted

Two years ago I had 3 surgeries on my leg for compartment syndrome the last a debridement for infection.  I had to go from 8 to 0 in a week because the surgeon said it wouldn’t heal.  I was sent to a plastic surgeon who agreed. Not bad for first two weeks but the next 3 were horrible.  Bottom line I started again st 13 and all was well. Currently at 6mg.   Good luck to you. 
    • Posted

Thank you eddylynn for taking the time to respond!  I'm copying them all for my regular Dr and the Surgeon.

marla

• Posted

I had a abscess on a broken off tooth root and the Dentist got me to double my dose of Prednisone 4 hours prior extraction.   The reason he gave was to stop my body going into stress.     You should check this out for yourself, after all it your body enduring.

I am in New Zealand.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.