Reducing Prednisone with new onset of fever

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, was diagnosed mid December of last year and was put on 10 mg of Prednisone which initially worked well.  Last month my pain was seeming to increase and since I was going on vacation my Rheumatologist upped my dose to 15 mg.  I felt really good - better than ever!  He told me to drop the extra 5 mg when I return from vacation.  So now I have returned home and have a fever of 102 degrees with a terrible cough.  Does anyone know if it is a good idea to drop the dose with this fever?  Will it make it harder for me to fight?  I appreciate all of your insight.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Whatever you decide I think dropping the 5 mg all at once would be a mistake, especially as 10 hadn't been quite enough before.  Why not try 2.5, or even just 1 at a time.  If may only take a few weeks to get back to 10, but it would be easier on your body than dropping all 5 at once, especially if you aren't feeling well.  As regards sickness, as pred weakens our immune system my personal opinion is that a small reduction won't impede your recovery from the cold or flu or whatever it is you have.  Just go easy, and get lots of rest.

Truth be told, I've sometimes found it easier to taper when I have some other ailment.  No idea why.  Maybe it is because I'm resting more?

• Posted

I'd wait until you are a bit better - I'd also not drop the full 5mg all at one go, half and half still gets to the same place, 1mg at a time is even better and might work while you are still unwell! The 10mg is also obviously not enough if you feel so much better on 15mg - which suggest the 10mg was allowing inflammation to build up.

And frankly - are you expecting to do too much? The pred hasn't cured anything, the actual cause of the symptoms we call PMR is still chugging along in the background and leaving your muscles intolerant of exercise. You have to manage that by pacing and resting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.