Reducing venlafaxine.

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey all... I currently take 375mg of venlafaxine. I'm trying to reduce to 300mg with my psychs guidance. I reduced today by 75mg so only took 300mg. I'd like to know others experience reducing as I've only read the horror stories. Anyone reduce successfully without to many problems? appreciate any replys. thanks

leanne

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The sounds a lot to reduce by in one go. I take extended release and droped 37.5 mg, one tablet to 150 mg. It took two months before the effects settled. I am now aware that my capsules have twelve mini tablets in them when broken open so if I reduce again I will do this by removing one of the mini tablets at a time. This will be a much better way to reduce and limit side effects.

• Posted

Hey Leanne, 75mg is an awful big taper. I dropped by 37.5 from 225 and took about 10 weeks to stabilise. I then found a Facebook support group which reccomends a 10% taper and have stuck to that since with minimal withdrawal type symptoms. You can only see how you go, some people are very sensitive to drops in dosage and others are not. Don't be in too much of a rush and listen to your body. xx

• Posted

Leanne, is it slow release or Instant release you are on ? I'm on instant release tablets easy to break into sections.. I also feel that 75 mg is a lot to reduce at a time.. I reduced more gradually.. a small amount for a week then reduced each week for a number of months.. Slowly is the best way in my experience.Hope you get on well with reduction but I think it's too much of a reduction.. just my opinion and experience.. best regards Irene

• Posted

hi Irene.

I am on slow release. I didnt feel any negative effects yesterday taking 1 less but I've taken my normal amount today. I'm going to try taking 75mg less every other day for a couple of weeks before reducing it daily. hopefully it works out well. thankyou for your reply.

leanne.

• Posted

Leanne, just my experience but going between two doses knocks your body in and out of withdrawal and can cause symptoms that feel like your original symptoms are back with a vengeance which in my case led my doctor to increase my dosage again putting me back to square 1.

Phyllis x

• Posted

thankyou for sharing your experience phyllis. will have a rethink and discuss it with my psych.

leanne.

• Posted

Leanne, Phyllis is right.. speak to your Doctor.. Venlafaxine in my experience has been a very difficult drug to reduce.. After the company or supplies ran out I was in a nightmare.. and that's So true.. !! even missing one dose can cause problems.. Ive got down to half my dose and I'm too scared to reduce any further just now.. believe me and Phyllisj it isn't pleasant.. You take care and I hope you manage to get on Ok.. a lot of Doctors actually don't understand the drug either x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.