reduction in Levothyroxine dose helps aching calves/feet?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was born with underactive thyroid so have always taken thyroxine. As my perimenopause started (2009) I started to get aching calves and feet and this got worse as I got closer to the end of periods which finished in 2014. Just recently in September, my GP decided that my Levo dose was too high and reduced it. in the past couple of weeks, my tight calves/aching soles of feet have seemed a bit better but i am not sure whether i am imagining this. Has anyone else had the same effect?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Is it the tops of your feet or all over?
    • Posted

More the soles of my feet (particularly the balls) and the back of my calves/ankles. The tops feel a bit tight.
  • Posted

Hello, while on the levo, I broke the metatarsal bones in my left foot. My bones had become so brittle... I went through months of bedrest, rehab, etc. I still see a chiropractor for my foot. Here's the weird thing, my right foot is now in worse shape than my left foot and needs more therapy, even though it was never broken.

I don't know if the right foot is so bad because of the levo, because of the bedrest, because of favoring the right foot while the left foot was injured.

I have since been off levo for three years and have been completely off thyroid meds for about a year. I have severe thyroid disease, my feet are slowly improving and I was able to wear nice shows for a New Year party. I still have thyroid disease but I'm better, being off the levo  and things are slowly getting better. Its been several years now since my foot was broken. I feel I'm still recovering from the immune system damage and other problems caused by the levo.

I would never recommend anyone take this medication. I can only assume that if this drug is working for someone, it wasn't the same thing I was taking, even though it has the same name. I don't think I'm particularly sensitive or unique and I assume that anyone would have the same side effects/ health problems I had, given the same medication in the same doses I had.

However, you say you've been on it for decades without issue. Drug companies change formulations without changing their labels. Is it possible you changed your meds? Or there was a manufacturer change?

• Posted

As a child/teenager, i was on Eltroxin. i don't remember when it got changed to Levo but it was a long time ago. I haven't had any other side effects except possibly increased tendency to get viral infections. This improved enormously 13 years ago when I had my goitre removed but it has crept back a bit in the past year or so.

• Posted

Interesting that thyroid growths could be connected with lowered immune function. Any chance you have a recurrence if goiter or cysts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.