Referral??

Posted , 6 users are following.

If I was to ask my GP to refer me on to someone who can help me ... would it be a neurologist or a rheumatologist? Thanks

Karen

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen

Your shoulder and arm pain could be a result of CS but as with everything other things need to be ruled out. An MRI scan will show up CS so you really should ask for a refferal to a neuroligist.

Regards Tony

• Posted

Thanks Tony. GP has decided to refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon in case I need surgery! Sounds a bit dramatic at this stage when I don't even know what the problem is, but I would assume the orthopod would do an MRI before considering surgery!

Karen

• Posted

Hi Karen

Sounds like your GP suspects possible CS, so is playing safe. Any surgeon should request an MRI before considering surgery. Hope all go's well for you.

Regards Tony

• Posted

I was refered to a Neurologist as I was diagnosed with cs following an MRI scan but he will not operate as he said it is not bad enough. He does not have to live with the pain 24/7. He has offered me a carpel tunnel op to see if this helps the symptoms, if not he will refere me onto a rheumatologist. What will they be able to do, can anyone tell me please.
  • Posted

Helo karibum:

Rheumatologist's are a waste of space. I was told by one of these quacks that I definately had something which I didn't have - all they want to do is give you a injection - this person was going to give me an injection in my neck but I stopped him, thank God. I actually had severe CS.

You have to be referred to a Neurologist who will, if they think it necessary send you for a MRI scan - this is the only way to find out what is wrong with you.

• Posted

Hi

I was diagnosed with CS at the age of 36. I am now 44. I have seen: 2 ortho paedic consultants, 1 neurologist, 1 rhuematologist. And one other consultant that I cannot remember. That is five in total. Also had lots of physio, to get me mobile again. Now I see a chiropractor.

What really helped me was a pain management course. You only go on these when you tend to have done everything to try and find a medical solution, and you are still struggling.

This teaches you how to live with this condition. It is not easy. Surgery works for some people, but not for others. That was never an option in my case - too risky by far. Likewise, tens machines work for some people, but they do not work for everyone.

I am lucky, I have never had to resort to the serious strength pain killers. (Apart from once in a while under prescrition). Although I do take double strength Ibuprofen. I do not abuse it now, but I did in the beginning. I took them like smarties. Achohol and chocolate on the other hand?

You need to find what works for you.

My life is not the same now as it once was - I do not drive any more, or work. I cannot swim or got to dance lessons. It takes a lot of effort and planning to get ordinary everyday things done. By that I mean, getting up, having as shower, getting dressed etc. I cannot take my daughter to school, because I cannot keep up with her. It takes me a long time to \"defrost\" in the morning. Some ordinary everyday things I cannot do - hoovering, ironing - such a shame!!

Some days are worse than others.

CS cannot be fixed. It is degenerative. It affects lots of people in lots of different ways. That is what makes it difficult. It can affect you in strange ways, and cause real and genuine pain in muscles, breathing, etc etc.

My advice though - do not blame everything that happens to you on CS. It is easy to do. Somethings are worth checking out regardless.

Regards

Juniper

• Posted

Hello:

juniper posting was very interesting, she's right CS effects people in different ways - but she was wrong to say tha it was \"degenerative\" It could also be caused by injury.

It wouldn't be possible for me to live from day to day without strong painkillers, and I couldn't possibly do pain managment - any activity will cause me incredible pain throughout my entire body, and to make maters worse if I drink,(and I like a glass of wine) It will increase the pain!!

For some people CS is a incredible disability which the DWP doesn't want to accept, so they want grant sufferers DLA - juniper has highlighted some of the problems at 44 she slow in walking - this is common, normal every day activities hurt you. sometimes it's hard to sleep as the pain can increase while in bed - I have to take 2 of the 3 painkillers that I'm allowed to take daily at night. TRAMADOL is the only painkiller that works for me but this painkiller is considered addictive.

juniper is correct - you have to adjust your life, so that your able to cope, find out what works for you.

Best wishes

Alan D

• Posted

Hi Juniper.

Yes CS is a very good excuse not to do the ironing and hoovering, I use that excuse all the time.

It is true CS is degenerative but may also be brought on as a result of injury. I am 50 and can no longer work, though I am still struggling to convince the bods at the DWP. I saw an ATOS doc yesterday where I had explain my present condition. My CS affects the bones C3 to C7, the doc rekons the only way of fixing by operation is to fuse the bones together. I don't like the sound of that - fusing 5 bones. He reccomended me going for pain management and seemed to think that this would make me fit for work. I told him that I could do any type of work that did not involve me using my hands, sitting, standing, walking or looking up, down, left, right or center. Question, is ATOS the name of a planet in some far distant galaxy?

I now have to wait for the result from the DWP.

I notice that you have trouble sleeping by the time of your posting, 3.33 am. For most of us an undisturbed night's sleep is a luxury we can no longer enjoy, along with most other routine things that healthy people take for granted.

It is just a case of chin up (take painkillers first) and soldier on as best we can.

Admin. Any chance of a spell checker as some of us can't type top welk anf don'y realise thet we havr hit thr wrong keys.

Cheers

Janner

• Posted

Hello janner:

You sound a happy sort of person - I was interested in the sleep part of your posting on juniper's page - sorry to cut in juniper.

I never ever get a night's sleep - my pain increases while in bed, and I start to shake and shudder. I've never been told if this was caused by CS

I know what it's called; it's called Myclonus - I've been given a pill called Clonzapam for it . This is supposed to do something to the muscles, and I think to help you have some sleep.

I think that it has got something to do with CS though, because other people have said that they get muscle spasmns.

Dont hold your breath about getting any money from the DWP for your troubles - read my page \"questions about disability\" and you'll see what a battle I've had with them.

Good luck and to you juniper.

Alan D

• Posted

Hi Janner

Just a little light diversion.Any chance you could transcribe all these postings into 'Typing Error ' code . Somehow I find it easier to read. I must be developing some disorder.

Seriously, a lot of good postings here, and I'm sure I could comment on them, if only they were typed incorrectly !

Gerry

• Posted

Thaks Alan.

As for being happy, well we all need a sense of humour or else we will go potty. ATOS and the DWP have got one, they think that CS is a big joke.

Cheers

Janner

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.