Referral to eye clinic more or less straight away?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I saw my GP this week regarding what I believe is blepharitis - slightly inflamed eye, lids sticking together at night, 'tired' eyes feeling which gets worse during the day and loss of eyelash colour.  He wants me to have another eye examination at the opticians (I had my eyes tested in June), but then said he will probably refer me to the hospital eye clinic after this.  He didn't really examine my eyes, just looked at my eyelashes.

I expected him to give me different eye drops - I've been using Cardomer eye drops for 7 years for dry eyes - or talk through treatment for blepharitis, so was rather thrown by this.  Have others been more or less referred straight away to their ophthalmology department?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

My daughter has suffered with blepharitis for years. GPs are useless with eyes and I'd be very careful what you use with blepharitis. Hot flannel plenty of water and sleep and my daughter uses blephasol from boots which is fantastic.

• Posted

Thank you, Hol.  Yes, I got the impression from the GP that he just didn't 'do' eyes and preferred to refer.  Anyway, I'll see how I go with the optician and thank you for the tips about a hot flannel and Blephasol.

• Posted

What do you do with the hot Flannel? Someone mentioned Blephasol made their eyelashes really light. Has your daughter had any problem with this?
    • Posted

Rest the hot flannel over the eyes will help break down be over growth of oil on the lashes that you can then wipe away with blephasol.

No never it's a great product and she's been using it over 5 years now. Some suggest using diluted baby shampoo but I'm not sure on that.

• Posted

Sometimes when it flares she needs steroids but the hospital will monitor you for this anyway

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.