Referral to Urology for Cystoscopy. Female 27

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, new to this group. Just wondering if there’s anyone in here around my age?

I have had blood in Urine for 3 months plus, uti infections in between but not always. Every dip test I do or GP they always show blood in urine. Only symptom I have is swollen abdomen & lower back pain.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hayley -- I'm not a doctor, but it sounds as though you have been referred to a urologist to rule out any problems with your urethra and bladder.  Any time there is blood in the urine, it needs to be looked at.  

I have a persistent microhematuria with no evidence of bladder cancer or any other problem - the usual causes have all been ruled out.  

I had a male cystourethroscopy last November to rule out bladder cancer.  I wrote about my experience here because I had such a good one, so I wanted to pass along a few tips I learned to you.

My urologist used a lubricant gel mixed with lidocane, which her assistant injected up into my urethra several minutes before the procedure.  My urologist used a flexible cystoscope, which has a very small diameter.  When she inserted it into me, I felt no pain, but just a very pleasant stretching of my urethra.  When the scope was fully inserted up into my bladder, there was no sensation in that area, even though she was rotating the scope to visualize all the aspects of my bladder.  

So, on an inspection of your urethra and bladder, you should expect to have a very reasonable time if your doctor uses some type of lubricant with an anesthetic agent mixed in.  I would ask about this beforehand, just so you know what to expect.

If something is found in the bladder, then you very likely will need to have some further work done, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.  My urologist told me that not everyone that has blood in the urine has bladder cancer.  That includes me. No cause was found, and that's not an unusual finding in this case. 

I hope this helps.  The thing to do is gather info from the urologist's office staff about the procedure, ahead of time, and ask questions.  Be pro-active, but also, don't worry about having this procedure done.  And, I hope that you feel better soon.

Best regards,

Alan    

• Posted

Thank you for the response Alan and also telling me about your journey, I’m so pleased to hear all was well for you 🙏🏻. I have also heard a lot of people having this procedure and no evidence of why they urinate blood or even where it comes from? Even though there was no cause there was no alarm either! Just have to sit tight and wait for following appointments. I shall up date once I have had them. Thanks again  

• Posted

Hi Hayley, 

I am also 27 and due to have this procedure next week. Sounds like your symptoms are very similar to mine - blood in urine although I can’t see it but no sign of infection. How did yours go? Hope it was ok! X

• Posted

Hi Alilb smile

Yes same here! Although I have seen blood in mine too but it’s mainly shown in dip. No infection either! I seen my consultant, lovely guy! He said 10% off patients just naturally bleed for no apparent reason? So I’m holding on that I’m in that 10%, he didn’t also say it could be that the lining off my bladder is thinning? I have my Cystoscopy on Wednesday. Get results same day too which is good! I will keep you posted when I’m home, have you had your appointment yet? X

• Posted

Hi Hayley, 

Good luck for Wednesday I hope it goes ok! My cystoscopy is next Tuesday. I’ve had a CT on my kidneys and they’ve come back OK so now he wants to check inside my bladder to see if that’s the cause. Fingers crossed we are just in the unknown 10%!! xx

• Posted

Thank you for the luck 🙏🏻

My bladder and kidneys are perfectly fine ?? So relieved! Just awaiting my MRI now on my small bowels for different problem xx

• Posted

Hi Hayley, that’s great news about your bladder & kidneys! Hope your MRI goes ok. My cystoscopy is tomorrow so I’ll hopefully get some answers then! Xx

• Posted

Thank you Alilb, I wish you luck tommorow for your procedure. Will be thinking off you x
    • Posted

Thank you!! My bladder is healthy too, thankfully!! I’ve got to go back in 6 weeks now & see if there’s still blood... still unsure of the cause. Think the local anaesthetic is wearing off now because it feels like I’m weeing razor blades 😖 hope this goes away soon!!! Did you have anything like this? Xx

• Posted

I’m so glad your bladder is healthy too!! That’s great news! Hope your follow up goes well to 🙏🏻.

Yes the after pain when weeing was horrific, the next morning wee hurt too but after that I was back to normal. I cried every time I weed after it sad xx

• Posted

Thank you! Yes it did wear off after the next morning thankfully - it wasn't very pleasant but the overall procedure was so much better than I expected! Thanks for all your support smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.