Referred for CT scan after shadow found on chest X Ray

Posted , 2 users are following.

I recently had a stomach bug followed by ongoing gastric symptoms such as reflux, rib pain and persistent hiccups. The GP arranged an ultrasound (not had yet) and a chest X ray. What a shock to find they have recommended a CT scan to check out a shadow on the X ray. I found out in passing when I was visiting the surgery the following day on another issue. No opportunity yet to discuss it with the GP and don't know if the shadow is indicative of anything specific. Would the GP telI me anyway? Have long suspected a hiatal hernia but surely it would show as a typical hernia mass and the follow up test would be endoscopy/barium and not a CT scan? Worried about cancer though have never had chest/respiratory issues or smoked. Nor is there any family history.

Anyone been through anything similar?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Have you seen the results and disgussed it yet with anyone.

Have you had pleurasy or pneumonia in the past or did you have a cough when you went for the xray.

• Posted

Hi

It turned out to be fibrosis with ongoing inflammation due to a 'rare auto immune condition'. I actually had a consultant appointment booked to discusss a CT scan when I got ill - due, we thought to ongoing gallbladder issues/infection. They did a CT scan of the entire area and found the gallbladder was not infected but that my oxygen rate was very low - was kept in hospital on oxygen for 2 weeks while they did tests.. Currently on steroids and all sorts of pain meds due to continuing gallbladder and general inflammation issues.

Was promised a consultant appointment 2 weeks after discharge but the appointment has now come through and is now over 2 months away.

• Posted

I am so sorry for you having the delay in getting this information is not good but so much better than some of the things it could have been.

Try not to worry about the delay if you are feeling better but if you slip back then go and see your GP and see if he can rush it a bit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.