Referred for urgent MRI scan by GP but have to be reassessed by an MSK Partnership

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi Everyone,

I have suffered with lower back problems for the last 30 years and had a Microdiscectomy in 2003. Since then I have intermittent episodes where I have acute pain in my lower back for a week to 10 days. These may be once every six months or so.

In early June this year I awoke with severe pain in my lower back. I dosed myself regularly with Ibuprofen and Paracetamols and thought it would clear up as usual. To cut a long story short. I've been backwards and forward to the doctor for stronger and stronger painkillers and had an X-Ray on the 11th July which is showing deterioration of the lower spine and Facet joint wear.

Based on this my, GP referred me for an expedited MRI scan on the 18th July.

Yesterday I received a call from Sussex MSK Partnership asking me to come in for an initial assessment with a view to working out what treatment I should have. Said they would probably have to arrange X-Ray to see if I needed an MRI scan. !!!

It's as though I'm back at square one. My repeated trips to my GP and recent X-Ray were all for nothing.

I'm self employed and cannot work it just seems like another layer of costly bureaucracy in the NHS.

Can anyone explain why we have these MSK Partnerships and how they're funded? Is there any way to cut through all this faff and just get the MRI scan?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.