Referred to Neurosurgeon

Posted , 4 users are following.

Went to the GP today and got my Carbamezapine (I'm sure I spell this different every time) upped to 5 a day (1 in the morning, 1 at lunch and now 3 at night time) to tie me over. She has referred me to the neurosurgeon as no medication, massage, acupuncture etc. is helping with the pain. I'm really glad I'm finally getting somewhere and being taken seriously, and if I have to have surgery then that's fine, I will do. But there's a certain amount of anxiety that comes with the idea of having any kind of surgery, let alone brain surgery.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you are suffering... I feel your pain. I've been dealing with it for about 6 years now. Mine is primarily localized to my mouth, but spreads to my ear, neck, and head at times. I have been through copious amounts of anti-seizure prescriptions, but they dropped my white blood cell counts down to levels on par with cancer, so had to shift away from those. Moved on to tricyclic antidepressants, which were effective in high doses, like the anti-seizure meds, but came with severe short term memory loss to the point where I would forget my point in the middle of a conversation. Enter high-concentration CBD hemp... it has been a life-changing therapy for me. I tried ingesting, but effective dosage was so high that I started wholesaling just to get lower prices. Ultimately, inhalation has been the most effective for me. I used vaporized concentrates for a long time, but again, cost is pretty high although not nearly as high as ingestion products (oils, capsules, gummies, etc). Now I just smoke the raw flower, it has been the most effective of anything I've tried; and the cheapest. You might give it a go if you want to avoid surgery. I believe it will be revolutionary for neuropathic pain of all types.

• Posted

Hi

I am on anti-depressant meds as well and the combination of them takes the age off, but i think it's mainly because they make me so tired, i end up sleeping, and when i'm asleep the pain goes away. I have considered CBD but i read that it can interact with the meds, so I asked the GP but she was honest and said she wasn't sure but a pharmacist would know better than her so going to speak to them. I'm willing to try anything a go if it gets rid of the pain - at least until a more permanent solution is found.

• Posted

I was taking 9 x 25 mg amitriptyline tablets/day plus 3 x 50mg tramadol tablets per day before CBD. Now i take only take 2-3 amitriptyline & 0-1 tramadol tablets/day. But when I can take CBD as much as needed, I can go without any meds. I am not a doctor, so definitely work with them to figure it out. I ended up where I am out of necessity as the amitriptyline was starting to jeopardize my job. CBD does not negatively impact my mental acuity (and may actually enhance it), so it was an easy decision for me. I wish you the best of luck, and let me know if you need any additional anecdotal info.

• Posted

Hi HOC

Awesome response. I am also having good results with the CBD, much better than ANY previous prescription meds. For my TN, i was taking pills all throughout the day and night and still had little relief from the pain and no life to speak of. On the CBD, i have my life back again and more alert than i EVER was while taking those opioid and anti-seizure meds. Good luck to you, friend. Take care

• Posted

Hi Victoria. HOC is speaking the truth. I also have Trigeminal Neuralgia from repeated bouts of Shingles that trashed my 5th cranial nerve. My pain is like "lightening in a bottle" and bounces from my head, face, nose, teeth, ear and eye. When the TN would strike, all i could do is scream until i could be sedated each time and the attacks were weekly and sometimes daily. I even asked my husband to place me in a nursing home when i was still in my 40's, so he and our sin could have a normal life. He loves me and refused to give up on me. He's a good man. I am blessed.

After years of Amitriptyline, Clonazapam, Carbamazepin, Morphine and Dilaudid (NONE of which stopped the pain), i finally gave the CBD a chance. It DOES work and i have a life again. I still take Amitriptyline and Clonazapam at night because i have seizures from all the damage caused by shingles. As you mentioned, i had also heard the same about CBD interfering with other RX meds and my doctor wasn't sure but it was worth the risk for me. I don't take the RX meds at same time of CBD though but i have taken them an hour apart and had no problems. Not saying it's the same for every one and i'm not a doctor and would suggest you keep consulting with your doctor but i can say that i have had no problem taking the CBD and my other meds. My doctor is running routine labs every two weeks to be sure all meds levels are normal and so far, they have been. Not sure yet, if i even need to keep taking the Amitriptyline or Clonazapam now, while taking the CBD but i will try coming off them soon, under close doctor supervision and gradually. Hoping you the best. Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.