Referred to urgent haematology appointment for suspected NHL

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys smile I’m 22 and a student. 

Unfortunately I became really ill 2 weeks ago whilst abroad as my tonsils enlarged to the point where it was affecting my breathing. Later that day I was diagnosed with pharyngitis and viral meningitis. I had a lumbar puncture done 6 times which caused further symptoms. 

I’m now back in the uk and resting. 

I had a lump on the left side of my neck ever since November 2017. This lump has not gone away. I also feel a little feverish but maybe I’m still recovering from what I suffered? 

I went to see my gp and he examined me. He felt the lump on my neck that’s been there for almost 5 months. He also discovered another lump on my groin (which I can’t seem to find). 

He seemed calm but told me I need an urgent referral to a haematologist as he thinks it could be lymphoma. But he said don’t read into it. But I read into it and I don’t really know what to expect. What is going to happen when I see the haematologist? Do my symptoms really suggest I have my lymphoma? Or could it just be due to the meningitis  I had 2 weeks ago?

I went to see a GP again. I had an appointment with the manager of the practice. He knew what it was about as he knows I had been urgently referred for an appointment with the haematologist. 

I have been experiencing a sharp pain in the left upper quadrant of my abdomen below my left rib. I explained it to him and he palpated it and explained how the other GP who referred me wrote on the notes that he could feel my spleen. 

I explained how nervous I was about the scan and about the possibility of having cancer. I asked him to recheck the lump on my neck too. He said no matter how much he feels the lump and examines me he won’t know. Only the scan will tell me. I asked if I will be taken seriously by the haematologist and he said they have to as it was an urgent referral. 

So could it be lymphoma? What will happen with the haematologist? What kind of symptoms did anyone suffer?

Thank you for your time

Hassan 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Take it one day at a time! If this is seriously affecting you mentally, I'd ask for anxiety medication. It really helps.

• Posted

Thank you! i met my haematologist consultant yesterday who then took bloods. She just rang me to inform me the results came back inconclusive and that I need to give more bloods  tomorrow 

do you know what this means?

• Posted

It sounds like the hematologist will be able to give you a lot more info and a concrete answer. They specialize in this stuff so they would be expert opinion. I don't like how your doctor told you that you need an urgent referral to a haematologist, as he thinks it could be lymphoma. But then said don't read into it haha. I would read into it too, I don't blame you! That's not very calming... My mom had a similar experience, she had a swollen lymph node on her collarbone and her doctor made her worry it could be lymphoma, it actually ended up being cat scratch fever lol. And she was very angry with her dr for upsetting her and making her worry so prematurely. But honestly the hematologist will be the best person to give you an answer, and try not to freak out until then because your fever and lump could def just be due to your recent illness and then you freaked out for nothing. Try and see the hema dr asap so you can relax and stop worrying.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.