Reflux

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been experiencing acid reflux since I was young, once had a surgery. Could there be anothr underlying problem bcz I'm still young in my early twenties, use all sorts of medication no improvment, no H Pylori detected?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

What surgery did you have? And is it acid or reflux that's your main problem? (As a rough guide: acid causes burnng, reflux causes coughing. )

The most common reason for reflux is a hiatus hernia. You can even be born with one. It inhibits the closure of the lower oesophageal sphincter. (See attched graphic. )

Other common causes of reflux are obesity and drugs (eg nicotine and caffeine) .

I suffered from reflux all my life, remembering incidents when I was 3! But my problems were only finally overcome by a fundoplication operation 9 years ago at the age of 60.

See the free book / website www DownWithAcid org uk to read up more about acid, reflux, complications and management.

• Posted

I had a surgery 14 years ago it was a Gastro-intestinal cyst removed from my intestines(smaller ones), I have a history of GORD which has been ongoing, I have been using PPS's and they did not work they gave be serious side effects and the doctor now gave me H 2 Blockers.  The only test done is H Pylori, some assumes its caused by stress, but I wonder if its possible to request for an endoscopy bcz my doctor feels like no more investigations shud be done. What shud I do? One doctor told me Adhesions could be the main problem from my previous surgery but my GP does'nt want to recommend a CT scan, only had ultra scan, which did'nt show any problem. 

• Posted

PPIs are excellent at reducing acid but not reflux. They do make reflux less corrosive and reduce risks of progression to cancer by 71%. But they are the only real weapon in the medics armoury - apart from th eless ffective H2 blockers. What side effects were you getting? It may be worth tryng a different PPI. I was on PPIs for 15 years (increasing to very high dose of 80mg omeprazole a day) before I had my reflux reduction surgery which gave me my life back.

If you do continue experiencing reflux regularly, ask again for a referral to a gastroenterologist who may give you an endoscopic examination to see whether you have done any permanent damage to your oesophagus.

• Posted

thanks, I will do. The main problem really is ulcers, I have been having this acid reflux so long. The PPSs tend to make it worse, cause headache, stomach pains, cramps & greatly affect my hormones. I think the best idea like u said i referral to a gastoenterologst. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.