Reflux after Gallbladder removal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my gallbladder out two weeks ago, sore for the first week but feeling fine now obviously still need to take it easy.  I previously had pancreatitis thats why I had it removed so I have been use to eating a low fat diet for the last year, however the last few nights I have woken with Reflux which is horrid, to the point that I was nervous going to bed last night, has anyone else experienced this and any suggestions for moving forward.  Thank you

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I have this due to hiatus hernia, my gp gave me omeprazole but I dont take it as im worried about bone density problems from it, I just take antacids at bedtime or drink milk.  it seems better since I had gallbladder removed last year though.
    • Posted

Thanks Amanda, I brought some over counter bits yesterday definitely helped last night.
  • Posted

Hi,

I had terrible acid reflux for 6 months after I had my gallbladder out then one day it just went! I spoke to a friend who does acupuncture and she said that your body needs to adjust to having an organ removed and I guess she was right. I found chewing gum helped me when it was really bad. Cx

• Posted

Thanks Charlotte, I've just brought some over the counter bits, hopefully that will help. Know I need to give my body time but it's so horrid at night when you just want to sleep.

• Posted

I know how you are feeling, it got me really down as I expected to be better immediately. I literally had reflux 24/7 for 6 months. About the time it just abruptly stopped I had started exercising again (gentle running) so I don’t know if that helped a bit too. Try to stay positive, your body will sort it’s self out and you will get better. Cx
    • Posted

I was wondering about exercise. You're right thou a good few months for things yo settle down

• Posted

Hi Sammie

So sorry for you, some tips that may help are never eat after six pm, small amounts, avoid tea and coffee, chocolate etc, have a good glug of gaviscon before bedtime and try and elevate the head of the bed a few inches.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Sammie1965, I would be interested to know how long you suffered with both issues and what were your main symptoms prior to removal of GB and how did they find out your pancreas was affected?  Thanks
    • Posted

Hi, I had my first and hopefully only acute pancreatitis attack last October, on hindsight previous to this I had continuous indigestion, constantly bloated with pains in my back, should have really read the signs. They couldn't find the reason for my attack, usually it's associated with alcohol or gallstones. I didn't have gallstones, they think it was full of sludge thou, but due to my attack my gallbladder removal was more down to preventative measures to help prevent any further pancreatitis attacks.

• Posted

Hi Sammie1965 Sorry for late reply this went into Spam!

I have Chronic Pancreatitis due to heavy drinking in my early years, what amazes me is, I have had 2 ultra sound scans and both times the Stenographer have said that it is in poor condition, yet the radiologist who has the final say have both never ever mentioned it, sort of tells you something about Hospitals. I have never been so angry as my last scan she told and showed me what was wrong yet when go to Dr's and get report nothing other than a fatty Liver is commented upon.

I was furious and all they do is NOTHING but come up with complete BS. I do not blame the Dr's but the Radiologist because it is incompetence beyond realms of health care and I have made sure my family are aware of all this should something happen to me.

Thanks for your info though, my Gal Bladder has sludge which she told me can be worse than stones and indeed there could be tiny stones within that sludge, the only good thing is I have the majority of my issues under control with diet but I am still not well by any means?!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.